Mushroom Kale Quinoa Soup
Mushroom Kale Quinoa Soup – loaded with superfoods, light and delicious. Made in less than 1 hour. Great for spring and summer.
How was your weekend? Mine was good, but I just wish the weather was warmer for this time of the year! I can’t believe it is May already!
I’m sharing a soup today, because I make soup at least once a week, even during summer. So I’ve got a lot of soups to share. Some of them aren’t so special and have similar ingredients, but I’ll slowly post the ones that I feel like you might like.
Did you guys notice the lack of quinoa recipes on my blog lately? This is because I’ve been adding it to a lot of soups and stews. And today I have a great recipe for the kale and mushroom lovers.
I’m a big fan of easy soups. The soup recipes on my blog usually take less than 1 hour to make and just a few simple ingredients. And this soup is no different. Of course, I get excited when I see a hearty crock pot soup recipe, but I don’t make these as often as I’d like. Instead, a quick and light soup is my go to recipe during the week.
Rich and balanced flavor, enhances with some thyme, basil and balsamic vinegar.
My kale might look a little overcooked, but this is how I like it in soups. Feel free to cook it less, if you prefer it with more crunchy taste and bright color.
The addition of quinoa makes it healthier and more filling. You can either add pre-cooked quinoa, or uncooked at the end and let it cook with the soup.
Hope you get to try this time-saving recipe.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 pearl onions , cut in half (or 1 small yellow onion, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed
- 12 oz (300 grams) white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch kale , chopped
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- splash balsamic vinegar
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or use water + vegetable bullion)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- salt to taste
- lemon juice (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot and add onions. Cook for 3 minutes until tender. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release water, for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add thyme, basil, parsley, black pepper and tomato paste. Stir. Add chopped kale. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable stock and splash of balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add quinoa. Cook for 10-15 more minutes until quinoa is fully cooked.
- Add salt to taste. Squeeze some lemon juice (optional).