Keto Creamed Spinach
Easy Keto Creamed Spinach Recipe – low-carb, Keto, gluten-free, creamy and delicious!
Looking for a quick, very creamy and simple to make creamed spinach recipe, to serve with your low-carb dishes? I have the perfect one. This is one of the easiest ways to prepare creamed spinach and it goes well with veggies, meats, seafood and poultry. Minimal, easy to find ingredients are used in the recipe.
What ingredients fo I need to make Keto Creamed Spinach?
Recipe ingredients may vary, depending on your personal preferences. Since I focus on low-carb cooking, this recipe uses heavy cream. Milk or half and half could be used, but the final result will have more carbs and less creaminess.
- Spinach – it is one of the most popular leafy greens consumed on Keto
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- garlic powder
- nutmeg (optional)
Should you use fresh or frozen spinach and do you need to blanch the fresh spinach for this side dish?
Either fresh or frozen spinach will work in this creamed spinach recipe.
If using fresh spinach, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl, filled with cold water for 2-3 minutes.
Squeeze out as much water as you can and use following the recipe.
If you decide to use frozen spinach, make sure you fully defrost it and squeeze out as much liquid as you can before adding in the recipe.
I don’t recommend using fresh, unbalanced spinach in this recipe. If you just add it to the recipe, without blanching, it may quickly overcook, loose nutrients and get a full color.
How to make creamed spinach?
- If using fresh spinach, blanch it and squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop spinach into small pieces.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, then add salt, pepper and garlic. Add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until well blended and warmed up.
- Add spinach to the creamy mix. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Season with more salt if needed.
- Top with cheese (optional).
Tips to make the perfect creamed spinach:
- Use heavy cream and full fat cream cheese
- No matter what kind of spinach you are using – frozen or fresh (blanched), make sure you squeeze out as much water as possible before you use it in the recipe
- Add nutmeg, if you can tolerate the spice. It goes very well with spinach. All you need is just a pinch of it in this recipe.
What to serve creamed spinach with?
You can serve this Keto creamed spinach as an appetizer or a side dish. Place in a ramekin, top with some cheese and bake at 375 F, until the cheese is bubbly. You’ve got your creamy, cheesy spinach dip. Serve with low-carb chips or veggies.
The nutritional value of this creamed spinach is perfect – good amount of fat and low carbs.
Creamed spinach makes the perfect side dish for steak, chicken or fish. It is often a popular menu item at steakhouses.
Can you reheat creamed spinach?
Yes, you can easily reheat creamed spinach on the stove top at a medium temperature, stirring frequently or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Can creamed spinach be frozen?
Most of the time, creamy dishes, that use cream cheese and heavy cream don’t freeze and defrost well. The same applies for this creamed spinach. You can still freeze it and defrost on the stove top, adding a little butter and heavy cream and stirring constantly for 5-10 minutes, until fully defrosted and warmed up.
More spinach recipes:
Keto Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 8 cups baby spinach — washed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves — pressed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
If using fresh spinach, blanch it and squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop spinach into small pieces.
In a saucepan, melt the butter, then add salt, pepper and garlic. Add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until well blended and warmed up.
Add spinach to the creamy mix. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Season with more salt if needed.
Top with cheese (optional).