Grilled Peppers With Tomato Sauce Recipe
Grilled Peppers With Tomato Sauce Recipe – simple vegetarian meal, appetizer or a side dish, perfect for summer.
Hey guys! Can’t wait to share this Grilled Peppers With Tomato Sauce Recipe with you. Today I have another summer grilling recipe. Light and fresh, full for wonderful flavors, these peppers are perfect for the veggie lovers out there.
If you love peppers, just as much as I do, make sure you check these recipes out:
My mom makes these all the time. I love them! The thing is – I hate peeling peppers! But since I’ve been craving them forever, I decided to finally make them. Plus another addition to my summer grilling recipe collection. I’m hoping those of you, who love grilling will like these grilled peppers. And yes, this is a Bulgarian recipe.
The most important thing here is to make your own tomato sauce, from fresh tomatoes. Can you use canned tomatoes or store-bought tomato sauce? You certainly can!
But the truth is – this dish tastes best with freshly made tomato sauce. It is very easy to make, ready for under 30 minutes, you just need to follow some simple steps.
We usually use green Cubanelle peppers in this recipe. These peppers are sweet with rich flavor. Perfect to serve raw, because of their crunchy texture.
They have thinner flesh than bell peppers, they are longer and also get amazing, rich peppery flavor when grilled. You could use red peppers, if you’d like. I just prefer the combination of Cubanelle and tomato sauce. They are popular in Cuban, Spanish and Slavic cuisine. I can recall at least a few dishes from my childhood, made with these peppers.
Can you roast the peppers, instead of grilling them? You sure can! Roast them in the oven for around 25-30 minutes at 350 F. Since it is summer and I’m obsessed with grilling, I couldn’t justify turning the oven on…
Serve these Grilled Peppers With Homemade Tomato Sauce for any party or just make them for dinner on a weeknight, when you just want to cook something different, but very tasty.
- 10 Cubanelle peppers , washed
- 4 extra large ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves , pressed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Preheat gas grill to medium heat (400 F). Clean grates.
- Grill peppers for 3-4 minutes per side (or longer, if needed), until charred on all sides, but not burned.
- Place in a bowl with lid, or if you don't have a lid, cover with plastic wrap. Let peppers cool to room temperature. Peel peppers.
- To peel the tomatoes: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Make a small cross cut ( 1/4 in x 1/4 in) at the bottom of each tomato. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, until skins start to wrinkle.
- Place tomatoes in a bowl with cold water for a few minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Peel tomatoes, cut into small cubes.
- In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes, until thick, stirring frequently. Taste sauce and add more seasoning, if needed.
- Season peppers with salt. Serve topped with the tomato sauce. Garnish with parsley.