German Chocolate Cupcakes
German Chocolate Cupcakes – chocolate cake, topped with layer of sweet coconut pecan frosting and chocolate buttercream.
I really enjoy the combination of flavors in German Chocolate Cake, so when I had to bake cupcakes for an event last Saturday, I knew I was making German Chocolate Cupcakes.
German Chocolate is a chocolate layered cake, filled and topped with coconut-pecan frosting, very popular in the US. This cake always reminds me of the winter Holidays.
As I did not have time to make a whole cake, I thought , why not make some cupcakes. And yes, they turned out amazing! Fluffy chocolate cake, creamy coconut-pecan frosting and rich homemade chocolate buttercream. I was glad, when I had some coconut -pecan frosting left, so I just ate it by the spoonful …
The only thing I’m not so proud of is that I used box cake mix, but these were delicious and I saved some time, which I didn’t have to begin with. I had that Betty Crocker German Chocolate Cake mix in my pantry for a few months. Good thing is that I remembered I had it, so I was able to used it. But here is the positive side of the story, the cupcakes turned extra fluffy (because of the use of cake mix) and paired well with the toppings, which are a little on the dense side. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe, if you are not keen in the idea of box cake mix.
Next time I’m planning to try these, using my eggless chocolate cupcakes recipe and will report what happens.
These are perfect for any event, birthday or even Christmas and NYE party! I hope you like these.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
German Chocolate Cupcakes -rich and delicious, perfect for chocolate and coconut lovers.
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix (or Devil's food cake mix) and all other ingredients necessary to add to cake mix
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter (1 - 112 gr stick)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk or cream if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C) . Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mixture according to directions on the box. Using an ice-cream scoop, fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake according to directions. (18-22 mins, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean).
- In a sauce pan over medium heat combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter and constantly stir until thickened. (Basically until starts to boil, it will take around 15 minutes).
- Add in vanilla extract, pecans and coconut. Let mixture cool,
- Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat for 3-4 more minutes. If frosting appears thick, add milk or heavy cream. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Pipe chocolate buttercream around the edge of cooled cupcakes. Scoop a small amount of German Chocolate frosting in the middle.