Gender Reveal Surprise Cake Recipe
Gender Reveal Surprise Cake Recipe – fun and easy to make, this cake is perfect for a gender reveal party or a baby shower. Layers of vanilla cake with mascarpone cream cheese buttercream and lots of colorful candy.
I have some very exciting news for you today guys! Why am I sharing a Gender Reveal Surprise Cake Recipe???
As you might have guessed – we are having a baby!
I can’t believe it took me so long to share the news with you!
At first, I wanted to make sure that things are going well, but then it took me so long to think of a fun way to announce it on the blog and to make this cake.
But yes I’m pregnant and we are expecting our first baby very soon! Due in August! We can’t wait to meet him!
And yeah, it’s a BOY!
I was very impatient to know the gender of the baby as soon as I could because I’m extremely impatient!
I’ve been doing ok throughout the pregnancy and I’m really hoping things stay this way until the end. But since I’m taking a lot more time to relax and sleep, than usual, you might have noticed that I have not been posting new recipes as often as I used to.
But don’t worry I’ll still share 2-3 recipes per week until the baby comes and after he is born!
Enough about me, let’s get to this cake!
At first, I thought to make brownies or cupcakes, but after I saw this recipe on Betty Crocker’s website, I thought that it will be perfect. Plus a nice cake looks a lot fancier than a small cupcake.
I used cake mix in this recipe and the cake turned so soft and delicious! And this saved me some time.
The frosting is so buttery and delicious. I made it with butter, cream cheese, mascarpone and powdered sugar. This creamy and soft filling tastes way better than regular buttercream.
You can print these cute little boy/girl hearts here. Attach them to a toothpick, using some tape and put them on the cake.
Gender Reveal Surprise Cake Recipe
- 2 boxes Batty Crocker's Super Moist Cake Mix - I used Vanilla flavor
- other ingredients to prepare the cake — (oil, eggs, water)
- 2 8 inch round cake pans
For the frosting!
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 stick — (115 grams) softened butter
- 1/2 cup mascarpone at room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar — , sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1 1/2 cups pink of blue candy and sprinkles to fill the cake
- pink and blue sprinkles to decorate the cake on the outside
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together butter, cream cheese on medium speed for 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add mascarpone and beat on low for 1 minute until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Add vanilla and cream/milk and beat for 1 more minute. Add more cream/milk, if needed to reach the desired consistency.
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 box cake mix and ingredients called for on box with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on high speed about 2 minutes or until smooth. Spread in pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Loosen cakes with a knife and remove from pans.
- Repeat process with the second cake mix, to make 2 more layers.
- Transfer cake to a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- Flatten each cake layer, if tops are domed. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut each layer into 2 layers with the same thickness.
- In 4 of the layers, cut 4-inch circles out of the center, using a round 4-inch cutter.
- To assemble the cake:
- Place 1 uncut layer on the bottom of a cake platter. Spread frosting on top.
- Add one of the cut layers and spread frosting on top. Repeat with the remaining cut layers, spreading frosting on top of each one. Fill cake with candy.
- Top with the second uncut layer. Spread frosting on top and the sides of the cake.
- Using your hands, press sprinkles to the sides of the cake. Add sprinkles on top if the cake, too.
- Add boy/girl labels on top. .
Nutrition InformationCalories: 632, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 33mg, Sodium: 664mg, Potassium: 79mg, Carbohydrates: 121g, Sugar: 85g, Protein: 5g, Vitamin A: 8.4%, Calcium: 22.2%, Iron: 9.9%
Products I used: