Eggless Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Eggless Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe – you won’t believe how easy to make these cupcakes are. No eggs or milk in the batter. Topped with a delicious Prague frosting.
These eggless chocolate cupcakes are extremely moist and rich in flavor. Easy to make and heavenly delicious when paired with a simple, buttery Prague frosting. The cupcakes contain no butter or eggs and rely on baking soda and vinegar for leavening. The cupcakes are extremely easy to make, with very few ingredients. The recipe also uses coffee (instant or espresso), which helps intensify the chocolate flavor. My grandmother makes a wonderful, rich chocolate cake with some kind of buttery chocolate frosting, which I love. I knew it is not butter cream, since it is soft and tastes much better, but I never knew what exactly it was. After seeing the Prague cupcake frosting recipe on Natasha’s blog – Natasha’sKitchen.com, it reminded me of my grandma’s chocolate cake. I asked her and yes- she uses the same frosting, but did not know it was called Prague frosting.
This inspired me to try this simple eggless chocolate cupcakes recipe, I adapted from Natasha’sKitchen.com and top the cupcakes with this mouth melting buttery frosting. The chocolate cupcakes recipe can be also found on Simply Recipes, where Elsie uses chocolate butter cream frosting. I made 2 batches of 12 cupcakes and can’t stop eating them. I’ll reserve some so I can give to friends over the weekend. I store them in an air tight container in the fridge.
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm coffee (I used 1 cup warm water and 1 tbsp instant Nescafe coffee, you can use brewed coffee or espresso shots that equal 1 cup)
- 1 tsp vinegar (I used red wine vinegar, but white vinegar can be substituted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Prague frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a cupcake tin and line with cupcake paper liners. Make 1 cup of coffee.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together coffee, olive oil, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ones and with a minimum amount of strokes mix until well combined.
- Using an ice-cream scoop transfer batter into cupcake liners. They have to be 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prague frosting: In a sauce pan combine egg yolks, water and condensed milk. Whisk together and heat over low to medium heat, constantly stirring until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and mix in the semi-sweet chocolate. Let cool at room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter for 5 minutes, until fluffy, stirring the bowl of the mixer. When chocolate mixture is cooled, add it to butter and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Fill a piping bag and a tip of your choice, decorate cooled to room temperature cupcakes.