This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Chocoflan Recipe – Kodrit Kadir -a simple and impressive dessert, that features a layer of chocolate cake on the bottom and smooth and creamy flan layer on top.
The chocolate layer soaks up the caramel from the plan, which makes this Chocoflan (Kodrit Kadir) extra moist.
A magic cake made with simple ingredients, perfect for any party or celebration.
Both layers are baked in the same pan at the same time, but manage to remain separated for a beautiful presentation.
This Easy Chocoflan Recipe is popular in my home country, but to be honest I was scared to try it.
It is a gorgeous and delicious desserts for people who like flan.
Easy to make in a bundt pan. Popular in most Arabian countries under the name Kodrit Kadir.
You may have heard of Mexican Chocoflan, but not heard of the Arabian Kodrit Kadir.
Happy Valentine’s Day !
I believe the main difference between the two desserts it that in some Chocoflan recipes you pour the chocolate layer over the caramel and then add the custard mixture on top.
In this Kodrit Kadir recipe, you pour the caramel in the pan, then add the custard and add the chocolate cake layer on top.
During the baking process, the chocolate cake layer remains on top of the pan (bottom of the inverted cake), the custard layer remains in the middle and the caramel remains on the bottom of the pan (top of the inverted cake).
So I can say that the magic happens in the oven!
(The leavening agent lifts up the chocolate cake, and the custard gets thicker and heavier during the cooking process and remains under the cake layer).
Great for a simple dessert, when you have people coming over.
Creme caramel or flan is custard based dessert, with caramel on the bottom, baked over a double boiler and results in a delicious, light and sweet dessert.
The chocolate cake (cocoa cake) part, I used a basic chocolate cake recipe, made with milk and oil, very simple ingredients that make a soft and fluffy layer.
I recommend that you bake Kodrit Kadir in a double boiler, to ensure that the flan layer is perfectly baked.
Easy Chocoflan Recipe - Kodrit Kadir
For the caramel:
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the flan:
- 5 eggs, large
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 800 ml whole milk
For the flan:
- Beat the eggs and sugar doe 2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla and milk, whisk to combine. Set aside.
For the chocolate cake:
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Beat the egg and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and oil. Beat to combine. Add the milk and yogurt and mix to incorporate. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
For the caramel:
- Heat caramel in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. Let it caramelize until it gets for an amber color (about 5-7 minutes), depending on the pan and stove you use.
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Add the caramel on the bottom.
To layer, bake and unfold the dessert:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a larger pan for the double boiler.
- Pour the custard mixture over the caramel. Add the chocolate cake on top, try to pour it evenly. It will sink, but will rise while baking.
- Place the bundt pan in the larger pan. Pour cold water, filling the outer pan about 1-inch below the top.Bake for 60-70 minutes,(toothpick inserted into the top layer should come out clean) then let it cool inside the oven for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, invert the dessert onto a platter. Slice and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.