Chocolate Shortbread Nutella Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Shortbread Nutella Thumbprint Cookies Recipe – chocolate shortbread cookies, that melt in your mouth, rolled into chopped hazelnuts and filled with Nutella. Different Christmas cookies for chocolate lovers.
I rarely make chocolate shortbread, but honestly – I love those cookies. They remind me of my childhood, when my grandma used to bake chocolate shortbread cookies.
She called them “biscuits”, used Dutch processed cocoa powder and they tasted delicious! She will always bake them around Christmas.
Even though, today’s cookies are far away from what my grandmother’s looked, still the flavor of rich Dutch processed cocoa is what makes them unique. This cocoa
You can use regular cocoa powder, like Hersheys, but there will be a slight difference in taste and flavor.
And mine are loaded. I rolled them into raw shopped hazelnuts. After they baked, the flavor and crunch from the roasted (already) hazelnuts was amazing.
I did not stop there, since these are chocolate shortbread thumbprint cookies, they needed to be filled with something good. And what ?
Nutella it is. It turned out to be the perfect addition!
These are mini bombs! My husband requested that I leave some for him and not fill them with Nutella. He said they had enough stuff going on. But luckily he is not the food blogger in the family and I still used Nutella.
They were delectable!
These will probably be the last Christmas cookies for the season. And the first for the year, since I did not share any yet 🙂
I’ve got some pretty popular Christmas cookie recipes from last year, feel free to check them out here.
CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD NUTELLA THUMBPRINT COOKIES RECIPE
- one — (112 grams/4 oz) stick of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder — (I used Dutch Processed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup chopped raw hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, using a hand mixer beat together butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Gather dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take dough out of the fridge and scoop out balls, about 2 tbsp each. Roll each ball into chopped hazelnuts.
- Place on a cookie sheet and and press with your thumb in the middle or with a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.
- Chill cookies for 1 more hour. (or 30 minutes, if you are in a rush)
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and if the hole in the middle had risen, press with measuring spoon again. Let them cook on the tray for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Fill cookies with Nutella.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 125, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 52mg, Potassium: 103mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin C: 0.3%, Calcium: 18%, Iron: 1.2%