This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This buckwheat with mushrooms and asparagus is heathy, packed with wonderful flavors and ready in 30 minutes.
I’ve been experimenting with buckwheat recipes a lot lately, so I decided to share with you a simple way to incorporate it in a savory dish.
The perfect combination of meaty mushrooms, fresh asparagus and gluten free buckwheat is great for a side dish or a light vegetarian meal.
Buckwheat is a superfood. It is not very popular in the US. It is also known as “kasha” and you can find it in Russian/Polish stores, the kosher section of some supermarkets or online. I prefer to buy the one that has been pre-toasted and has brown color. (If you get the not toasted kind, you can easily toast it in a skillet for 2-3 minutes, otherwise it tends to get mushy when cooked).
It takes less than 20 minutes to cook and does not require any soaking. It is a great alternative to rice and completely gluten free. It is popular in Russia, some Asian countries and Europe. Soba noodles are made from buckwheat. And it has no relation to wheat, in fact it is a plant, cultivated for its grain like seeds and used as a cover crop. It is related to rhubarb, sorrel and knot wheat.
The fact that no one around me likes buckwheat (sad) motivated me to try quite a few recipes. And I actually like it. What does it really taste like? Good question. It has a very strong taste, like darkly toasted bread.
It is chewy, when cooked right. I’m planning to make buckwheat pancakes or bread pretty soon.
For this dish I cooked lighty toasted the buckwheat, then cooked it with mushrooms and onions in chicken broth. A few minutes before it was done cooking, I added some chopped asparagus, so they can get lightly cooked. Topped with some fresh dill (optional).
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Buckwheat With Mushrooms And Asparagus
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 2 tbsp olive oil, , divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, (1/2 medium) chopped
- 6 medium mushrooms, , sliced
- 8 medium asparagus, , chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill for garnishing
- Rinse buckwheat with cold water and drain well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute buckwheat for 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium pot.
- In the same skillet, cook onion in 1 tbsp olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes, until half of the water evaporates and they are soft.
- Add buckwheat and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 10-12 minutes, until kernels are almost cooked, but there is still some water. Add in chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until done.Remove from heat and let it stand in the pot for 5 minutes. (You can add 1 tbsp butter, to make it more creamy).
- Transfer to a bowl, garnish with fresh dill (optional) and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.