Blood Orange Cheesecake Squares Recipe
These blood orange cheesecake squares are light and citrusy and one of my favorite Spring desserts.
As promised last week, I have a recipe for cheesecake bars with blood orange gelee and topped with candied blood orange slices.
If you don’t know already, I love fruity desserts. And I’m the most happy, when I’m able to bake with seasonal fruits like blood oranges.
This dessert is simple to make and if you like cheesecake and fresh blood orange flavor, you’ll definitely like it. Sadly these were gone in no time, because we love orange flavor at home. Slicing them into small squares makes them the perfect cute little dessert. They will be perfect for a party.
These really isn’t anything special about this dessert, but it looks impressive. I prepared a graham cracker cheesecake crust, which I baked for 8 minutes. Then I made the cheesecake part and baked it for 45-50 minutes, until it is set.
For the blood orange gelee, I used freshly squeezed blood orange juice, lime juice, sugar and gelatine. While the gelee layer was still in the process of setting, I placed some candied blood orange slices on top of it, which created the perfect decoration.
- 1½ cups cookie crumbs of your choice (oreo or graham cracker)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese , softened at room temperature for 30 minutes
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 tsp blood orange zest
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice (from about 3 small blood oranges)
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
- 9 candied blood orange slices
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture to the bottom of the baking dish. Bake crust for 8 minutes, then cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment beat cream cheese for 3 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add sugar and flour and beat for 2 more minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition.
- Add sour cream and mix until just combined. Add vanilla and orange zest and mix to combine.
- Pour batter over the cooled crust and bake for 50 minutes, until the top is set and starting to lightly brown.
- Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake cool down for 20 minutes inside. Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, before you add the gelee layer.
- In a small saucepan combine blood orange juice, lime juice, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tbsp cold water. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes, then warm up over a double boiler or in the microwave until it turns liquid.
- Add gelatin to the blood orange mixture. Pour over the cheesecake layer and add blood orange slices on top.
- Refrigerate for 2 more hours.
- Slice into squares and serve.