This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bison Burger With Blue Cheese – The perfect, homemade grilled bison burger, topped with with blue cheese. Juicy, tender and flavorful. Add more toppings of your choice and serve with fries or side salad.
Hi guys! Is everyone having a good week? I just can’t believe it is Wednesday already!
Have you ever tried bison meat? Do you like it?
I’ve tried it many times in restaurants and I’m in love with bison steaks and burgers. I recently decided to make some bison burgers at home. Bison meat is leaner than beef, but if it’s not cooked properly it can get very dry. It is best served medium rare. To be completely honest, I can not always distinguish if I’m eating a good quality beef burger or a bison one.
I like to season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder and add some chopped onions for extra juiciness.
Then I formed the patties by hand.
Uncooked burger patties can be wrapped in parchment paper and kept in the fridge for 1-2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
I just used regular burger buns, but gluten free buns will be a great substitute. You can also check m recipe for Sesame Burger Buns, which have an amazing texture and flavor.
I topped my burger with some blue cheese crumbles and caramelized onions. Each bite from this burger has a different flavor, because of all the wonderful toppings. I also like garnishing with mixed greens, instead of plain lettuce and add some tomato slices. You can add your favorite toppings, used american or feta cheese for example. Bacon will make a great topping and if you have the time to grill or roast some peppers, they will make an amazing burger top pins as well.
I kind of like the combination of burger+fries+coke… Well I skipped the coke, but made my favorite homemade french fries, to accompany this fabulous bison burger.
It has been a while since last time I made burgers at home. Excuse my messy pictures and the absence of a vertical “Pinterest” shot, but I honestly was not planning on sharing this recipe. It was delicious! It takes less than 30 minutes to make. I’ll make it again, for sure!
This is a typical grilling season recipe, but I use my gas grill throughout the year.
Bison Burger With Blue Cheese
- 20 oz (600 gr) ground bison
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 burger buns
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- sliced tomatoes
- In a bowl combine bison, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix well, if mixture appears too dry, add some cold water. Separate into 4 even parts. Form burger patties.
- Saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until softened. Add balsamic vinegar and stir. Cook for one more minute, then remove from heat.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Make sure grill is clean. Grill burgers for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness.(Grilling time depends on the kind of grill used, size of burger patties, climate).
- Lightly toast burger buns. Spread mayonnaise, ketchup or mustard if desired.
- Place bison burger patties on buns, over lettuce (mixed greens). Add blue cheese crumbles, top with onions. Top with top part of the bun.
- Serve with french fries or a side salad. Garnish with pickles.
!You can find bison meat at supermarkets, but local farmers markets offer a better quality meat.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.