Asparagus,Mushroom and Mozzarella Frittata
Asparagus,Mushroom and Mozzarella Frittata – the perfect nutritious, low-carb, keto breakfast for spring. Packed with veggies, this frittata is a family favorite.
This asparagus, mushroom and mozzarella frittata recipe is quick and simple and it takes less than 20 minutes to make.
Great idea for a protein rich breakfast that is also low carb and great for the ketogenic diet.
You also get your veggies with this wholesome frittata.
Mozzarella melts easily and gives this dish a lot of creaminess. It can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. Great for meal prepping, too!
Since asparagus are officially in season now, there are many ways to cook and enjoy them, so why not for breakfast? I also have a breakfast pizza recipe with asparagus and corn, that tastes amazing.
Even when cooked with the eggs, asparagus stay crunchy and give this frittata the perfect texture.
I also added some thinly sliced white mushrooms to bring some meatiness and flavor.
Breakfasts have always been a challenge for me and this is where recipes like this mozzarella frittata come in.
Super easy to make and customizable, this is a great, simple and delicious family breakfast idea. I know I said breakfast, but many times I’ve had this frittata for lunch or dinner.
If you try to keep the carbs on the lower side, you know that sometimes frittatas can feel like eating pizza. At least you slice them like this, right?
Mother’s Day is just around the corner and this asparagus, mushroom and mozzarella frittata makes a great brunch idea.
Tips for a great frittata:
- All you need to do is beat the eggs well, to ensure that they stay light and fluffy in the frittata. Add heavy cream or half and half, to help the egg mixture become creamy and light.
- Cook the mushrooms until they release water and asparagus until they are starting to soften, but do not overcook, we want the asparagus crunchy.
- Cook until the bottom is set and quickly finish cooking on broil in the oven. Keep an eye on the frittata so it doesn’t burn and dry out.
Asparagus,Mushroom and Mozzarella Frittata - the perfect nutritious, low-carb, keto breakfast for spring. Packed with veggies, this frittata is a family favorite.
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 10 large chopped asparagus (make sure you trim the ends)
- 3 medium white mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can use gouda, Havarty or American cheese)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 -2 tsp butter
- Melt butter in a 10 inch oven proof skillet and add mushrooms. Cook them on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until water released, almost disappears. Add asparagus and ook on medium-low for 2-3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile mix eggs, salt, pepper and half and half in a bowl and pour mixture over asparagus. Cook on medium heat, until almost set, but still runny on top and evenly spread cheese. Transfer to the oven to broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned for 4-5 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. (If you don't have an oven proof skillet, transfer frittata to a round pan, lined with foil. It should transfer easily, since it is mostly cooked).
- Transfer to a serving plate and cut into wedges.