Almond Meal Donuts With Hibiscus Glaze Recipe
Almond Meal Donuts With Hibiscus Glaze Recipe – gluten free almond baked donuts with sweet and tangy hibiscus glaze.
Is there such a thing – “healthier donuts”? I think there is. These Almond Meal Donuts are gluten free, paleo, baked and made with just a few ingredients.
Homemade baked donuts, I love them but at times I get super lazy and just prefer to get some donuts from the donut shop. These are my most popular donut recipes : Matcha Baked Donuts with Matcha Glaze and Chocolate Buttermilk Funfetti Donuts.
But they don’t even offer this variety -almond meal donuts and hibiscus glaze?
You can make your donuts and glaze and then add the glaze right before serving. This prevents the donuts from getting soggy.
Every time I open Instagram I see donuts! I don’t know why, but for the last few days the first photo I see had been of donuts! This reminded me that I almost forgot to share with you these gluten free donuts.
I tried to make these a little healthier, so I used maple syrup for the batter and date sugar for the glaze. You can use white sugar if you prefer.
I’ve shared a couple of recipes with hibiscus on the blog so far. They are for hibiscus ice pops and hibiscus drink. I never used in dessert recipes and I’m so glad I did in this one. The vibrant, rich purple color is just gorgeous and makes the donuts look even more delicious!
Since these donuts are made with almond meal, you can definitely taste some nuttiness, but it balances well with the tangy sweet and colorful glaze. I made these about 2 months ago for national donut day! Never had a chance to post the recipe. When my girlfriend, who was home when I made them and got to try them, asked me for the recipe I thought I better post it on the blog.
Hope you like this delicious, colorful summery treat!
- 1 cup almond meal (no need to be sifted)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla bean paste (can substitute with 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus petals
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Generously grease a 6-mold donut pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla bean paste. Add almond meal and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Divide mixture between 6 donut molds.
- Bake donuts for 10-14 minutes, until golden.
- Allow them to cool for 10 minutes inside the pan, then carefully take them out. Let them cool at room temperature.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add sugar, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add hibiscus petals. Cook for 4-5 more minutes. Turn off the heat and cover. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes, then strain. Let the glaze cool completely, it will thickens.
- Drizzle glaze over donuts. Serve or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.