Acai Bowl Recipe
Acai Bowl Recipe – quick and easy way to make a delicious and nutritious smoothie bowl with Acai berry powder, bananas, almond milk and berry toppings. Great for a weekday breakfast or a post workout snack.
What is Acai?
Acai berries are 1-inch (2.5-cm) round fruits that grow on Acai palm trees in Central and South America.
They have a dark purple skin and yellow flesh with a large seed.
To make these berries edible, they are soaked to soften the outer skin, then mashed into a dark purple paste.
What do Acai berries taste like?
Acai berries have a unique taste that is a cross between blackberries and chocolate.
Is Acai Keto friendly?
Acai berries have a unique nutritional profile for a fruit.
They’re high in fat and low in sugar.
Acai Berry Benefits
100 grams of frozen fruit pulp has:
- Calories: 70
- Fat: 5 grams
- Saturated fat: 1.5 grams
- Carbs: 4 grams
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fiber 2 grams
- Vitamin A
Acai Berries and Cholesterol
Animal studies suggest that acai could help improve cholesterol levels by decreasing total and LDL cholesterol. I’ve had some Thyroid and Cholesterol issues, that’s why, I’ve been incorporating Acai powder into smoothies and smoothie bowls.
How long do fresh Acai berries last?
Fresh Acai berries have a short shelf life and aren’t available outside of where they are usually grown.
They are usually sold as a frozen fruit purée, pressed juice or dried powder. I usually use dried powder for my homemade Acai bowls.
How to eat Acai Berries?
If you have access to fresh Acai berries, you can remove the pits and mash them into a puree. Then consume the puree on its own, or add it to smoothies, juices, puddings or smoothie bowls.
Acai berry powder and frozen Acai berry puree can be also used in different recipes like this Acai Bowl Recipe, popsicles, frostings, tarts, chia puddings, shakes and cocktails.
How much of Acai Berry Powder should you take daily?
I’m not a dietitian or a medical professional, but the instructions on the package advice to take 2 ½ teaspoons of acai powder with food or drinks per day. You can start with a smaller amount of powder, to see how you like it and feel consuming it.
Ingredients you need for this Acai Bowl Recipe?
- Acai berry powder (Frozen Acai puree can be used)
- Frozen banana – banana needs to be frozen, so we wan make a thick mixture, that can be served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon.
- Nut butter – I used almond butter for this Aci Bowl Recipe, but cashew or peanut butter will work
- Frozen berries – use frozen berries of your choice. I usually use a mix of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.
- Almond milk – any nut milk is fine
- Optional – unsweetened cocoa powder (it brings a great flavor, that pairs nicely with the nuttiness of the berries and creates a chocolatey taste)
- Frozen berries for decorating
How to make an Acai Bowl?
- In a powerful blender, blend the bananas, nut milk, frozen berries, acai powder or Acai puree, nut butter and cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Top with berries, shredded coconut and cacao nibs (optional).
What to top an Acai Bowl with?
Optional toppings that can be used in this Acai bowl recipe are:
- Fresh or frozen fruit – berries, bananas, mangoes. I prefer fresh fruit as a topping for my smoothie bowls, but frozen works as well.
- A drizzle of peanut or almond butter
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Cacao nibs
- Chia seeds
- Kiwi or pineapple
- A drizzle of Maple Syrup
More Smoothie Bowls:
Acai Bowl Recipe
- 1 tbsp Acai berry powder — Frozen Acai puree can be used
- 1 Frozen banana - banana needs to be frozen — so we wan make a thick mixture, that can be served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon.
- 1 tbsp Nut butter - I used almond butter — but cashew or peanut butter will work
- 1 cup Frozen berries - use frozen berries of your choice. I usually use a mix of strawberries — blueberries and blackberries.
- 1/2 cup Almond milk - any nut milk is fine
- 1 tbsp Frozen berries for decorating
- Optional - unsweetened cocoa powder — it brings a great flavor, that pairs nicely with the nuttiness of the berries and creates a chocolatey taste
In a powerful blender, blend the bananas, nut milk, frozen berries, Acai powder or Acai puree, nut butter and cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl.
Top with berries, shredded coconut and cacao nibs (optional).