Tartlets With Mascarpone Whipped Cream And Blueberry Sauce
Flakey pastry crust, creamy smooth mascarpone whipped cream and flavorful blueberry sauce makes these tartlets the perfect mini dessert.
Hi guys! Happy Friday!
I made these mini tarts a couple of weeks ago and almost forgot to post the recipe. They are really cute, flakey and loaded with freshness! They are the perfect addition for any celebration.
If you like blueberries, you’ll love these. I topped them with simple home made blueberry sauce. The sauce is made with fresh blueberries, I got at the Farmer’s Market.
I filled these tartlets with one of my all time favorite fillings (pastry cream) – mascarpone whipped cream. I like it because it is light, but in the same time it holds its shape and texture way better that plain whipped cream. Add some lemon zest to it, which will pair perfectly with the blueberry topping.
For the tartlets – I made the pie crust (dough) from scratch, but you can also use store bought. I decided to go with an unsweetened pie crust, because there already is enough sweetness form the mascarpone whipped cream and blueberries.
You’ll need to pre bake the crust, before you fill them with the mascarpone whipped cream. I made an all butter crust, which had an amazing flavor. You’ll also need tartlet tins and baking (pie) weights. Dried beans will do the job as well. You can definitely bake these mini tarts without the weights, but the bottom of the crust will definitely buckle a little. Make sure that the oven is set at 350 F.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- Tartlets crust (unsweetened pie crust):
- 2 cups (250 grams) all purpose flour
- 3/4 (180 grams) cups cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chilled water
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Blueberry Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh for frozen blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cprnstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place flour and butter in a food processor and pulse, until mixture resembles fine great crumbs. Add egg yolk and water and pulse until it forms a ball of dough. Transfer to a surface lined with plastic wrap, form a disc and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough, until it is about 5 mm thick. Cut dough using the top of the tartlet tins (the amount of dough cut from 1 tin is enough to fill it and make 1 relatively thin tartlet shell. Spray tins with cooking spray very lightly.
- Line eight 4 inch (9.5 cm) with dough,press into the sides. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Place tartlet tins on a baking sheet.Add baking weights, if you are using any. Cover with parchment paper. Bake at 350 F (170 C) for 15 minutes, then remove parchment paper and then bake for 10 more minutes. Carefully remove weights and bake for 3 more minutes, until golden.
- Let tartlet shells cool completely and then remove form the tins.
- In a medium bowl using a rubber spatula mix together Mascarpone cheese and ¼ cup sugar. (Do not mix Mascarpone with an electric mixer, because depending on its temperature and the room temperature it may separate)!
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. (Do not over beat, as it may turn into butter).
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold whipped cream into Mascarpone-sugar mixture. Add lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Combine blueberries and sugar in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Add cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Thin sauce with water if it appears too-thick. Store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use (or up to 5 days).
- Fill tartlet shells with mascarpone whipped cream and top with 1 tbsp blueberry sauce. Decorate with mint leaves. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.