Sweet Potato Soup
Hi my wonderful readers! Today’s post is not a new recipe. I simply decided to share an old recipe for sweet potato soup. It is really easy to make and you need just a few ingredients. Meat lover- you can add some bacon bits, vegetarian- omit bacon bits and add some cheese or seeds on top.
I love the combination of sweetness and spiciness in this simple recipe. I’ve made it before, when I first started my blogger blog, but obviously I was not sure what exactly I was doing, not that I did not know how to cook, but writing a blog post was way too difficult back then, and my pictures were ridiculous (soup is always difficult to photograph)!
Today I tried to correct my old post, change the recipe a little (you can totally follow the old recipe, because changes are insignificant) and share with you my new pictures of this spicy sweet potato soup.
Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber and vitamins, that’s why I love experimenting and incorporating them in recipes. If you like bacon, it gives the soup extra saltiness and crunch, so you should add some.
Last time I made this soup, I cooked sweet potatoes on high in the microwave, but this time I decided to boil them. Ti took a little longer to cook, but you can cook them either way.
Here is the recipe, if you’d like to try it.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 table spoons butter (olive oil)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- shredded parmesan
- bacon bites
- Cut potatoes in halves and place them in a microwave safe dish, cut sides facing down. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover the dish with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool until they are comfortable to touch and remove the skins. Alternative method – peel potatoes and cut them in quarters. Boil in salted water over medium heat until potatoes are soft and done. It takes around 30-35 minutes.
- In a sauce pan heat butter (oil) over medium heat and add chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute and add cumin and red pepper flakes and stir. Add vegetable stock (can use chicken stock) and bring to a boil.
- Puree potatoes and stock in batches and pour into a bowl.
- Serve soup warm with cooked bacon and shredded parmesan cheese on top.