Tender pieces of chicken breast on a skewer, served with colorful cabbage slaw. Classic recipe, perfect for grilling season.
My favorite part about summer cooking is grilling! And of course fresh salads and fruits.
So I suggest that we fire up the grill!
I love skewers (kebabs/”kabobs”), because they are extremely easy to make and also look appetizing.
These are perfect for a party meal, too.
I usually like to marinate mine in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice and oregano. It is best if you let the meat sit in the marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
But if you are short on time, even 30 minutes would be ok. The kebabs will still have this awesome Mediterranean flavor, but it will not be as strong and meat won’t be as tender, as if you leave them marinate for a longer time.
The preferred side dish for these chicken skewers in my family is a cucumber yogurt garlic sauce, similar to Greek Tzaziki (very similar to my cold cucumber yogurt soup, but a lot thicker).
This time, instead of the yogurt sauce, I made some fresh colorful cabbage slaw. It is up to you, if you’d like to try it. These chicken skewers go well with a simple green salad, too.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 2 (6-8 oz) chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 8 small wooden skewers soaked in cold water for 15 minutes
- juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 small cloves garlic - chopped (might reduce it to 1 clove)
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 3 cups green cabbage (shredded)
- 3 cups purple cabbage (shredded)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- ½ small English cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl and add meat, make sure it is evenly coated in marinade. Transfer to a zip lock bag. Let the meat marinate for at least 30 minutes, for best results 6 hours to overnight. Keep it in the fridge.
- Preheat grill to 400 F (medium-high heat ), clean and lightly oil the grate.
- Thread chicken on skewers and grill for 5 minutes per side, or until done.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots and cucumber (optional).
- In a separate bowl mix together salt, oil and vinegar. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss. Taste and add more salt, oil or vinegar if needed. Add fresh parsley (optional). Serve.
Products I used:
More Chicken Recipes: