Spinach And Feta Spaghetti Squash
Spinach and Feta Spaghetti Squash – light and easy to make, grain free meal with great flavors.
I’ve shared a spaghetti squash recipe on the blog before and I can tell you – I love preparing this vegetable and I also enjoy eating it. This Spinach And Feta Spaghetti Squash recipe is the perfect example.
Even though it is grain free, it definitely tastes like a comfort food to me. It does not taste like regular pasta. but I adore its neutral flavor and tender-crisp texture.
I usually roast spaghetti squash in the oven and then scrape its flesh with a fork. This is what I did for this Spinach And Feta Spaghetti Squash recipe.
I have a friend, who told me she tried cooking it in the microwave and it worked well and she saved time. Unfortunately, I don’t use a microwave anymore (just personal preference) so I was unable to try this method.
I’ve been in love with spaghetti squash lately. I even cooked an extra one last Sunday and saved it in the fridge, so I can enjoy it during the week. It is low calorie and low carb.
When I cook spaghetti squash, I usually use it as a gluten-free pasta substitute. I add pasta sauce, veggies and protein.
I decided to take a different route with this recipe and combine some of my favorite flavors in this lighter dish – spinach and feta. This is a great combination used in various dishes, the most popular from which is spanakopita.
The dish is very simple to make and does not require a lot of cooking. All you need to do is :
Roast spaghetti squash in the oven and then scrape its flesh to get “spaghetti” like strands.
Saute some onion and garlic.
Blanch spinach and cook it with the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Then combine it with the spaghetti squash and feta cheese. Top with green onions and there you have it – a healthy and satisfying meal, ready in less than 1 hour.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Spinach And Feta Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash - about 3 lb
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion — , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg — (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 4 scallions — , chopped
- parsley for garnishing
To cook the spaghetti squash:
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds using a spoon. Spray the inside with olive oil and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Lay skin-side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or Silpat. Bake for around 45 minutes, until it is cooked to a touch with a fork. Take out of the oven and set aside until it is cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape flesh in long strands. Reserve squash shells, we'll use them as serving bowls.
To prepare the filling:
- Blanch the spinach: Make sure that spinach is cleaned and washed thoroughly. Remove any thick stems.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add spinach. Blanch for 2-3 minutes, then carefully drain. Transfer spinach to a large bowl, filled with ice-cold water. Let it cool for 2 minutes. Drain again, squeeze as much water out of it as you can. Roughly chop.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add chopped spinach. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and nutmeg. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl combine spaghetti squash, spinach and onion and feta cheese. Mix to combine. Add scallions and fresh parsley. Divide mixture between the reserved spaghetti squash shells. Serve warm.
Spaghetti squash could be cooked in the microwave, but I prefer the oven method.
If you decide roast the squash ahead of time, scrape the flesh out of its skin and keep refrigerated in a covered container.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 681, Fat: 42g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 100mg, Sodium: 1425mg, Potassium: 1285mg, Carbohydrates: 62g, Fiber: 13g, Sugar: 26g, Protein: 23g, Vitamin A: 143.1%, Vitamin C: 49.3%, Calcium: 81.4%, Iron: 28.4%