Red Velvet Cupcakes
Easy Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe – moist and fluffy with a fine crumb, topped with luscious and delicious homemade cream cheese frosting!
I am very excited to share with you a recipe for red velvet cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting. It was originally shared back in 2014. I decided it was time to update the photos.
Closer to Valentine’s Day, these Red Velvet Cupcakes make the perfect sweet treat.
They are super easy to make and the recipe is foolproof. Just make sure you follow the instructions.
- Make sure you use natural cocoa powder (not Dutch processed) to ensure that the cupcakes have the best flavor and rise correctly.
- Use liquid food coloring, not gel. The liquid is more appropriate for cake baking.
- Do not fill the cupcake liners more than 2/3, otherwise they will overflow.
Easy Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe - moist and fluffy with a fine crumb, topped with luscious and delicious homemade cream cheese frosting!
- For the cupcakes
- 12 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp red food coloring (liquid not gel)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- For the frosting
- 6 oz (170 gr) cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Start making the cupcakes. In the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and sugar and cream mixture for 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- Add eggs slowly one by one while mixing on low speed.
- In a bowl whisk together cocoa powder, vanilla extract and food color and add to batter.
- Mix until color mixture is evenly distributed into the batter.
- Add salt to the milk. Now add wet and dry ingredients to the batter in thirds alternating. While your mixer is mixing on low speed first add 1/3 of the milk and 1/3 of the flour and continue alternating. Once they are all added mix for about 2 minutes.
- The final step is to mix together apple cider vinegar and baking soda in a small bowl and add it to cupcake batter. Mix for another minute.
- Now you can add batter to cupcake liners set into a cupcake baking pan. I recumbent using ice cream scoop so you can make them all one size.
- Bake them for 18-20 minutes and take out of the oven if a tooth pick inserted inside comes out clean.
- Vanilla cream cheese frosting
- Using a mixer cream together butter and cream cheese on median to high speed. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly add sugar little by little and mix until frosting gets nice and whipped.
- Fill frosting into a piping bag fitted with large round tip.
- When cupcakes cool to a room temperature you can add frosting on top. Can decorate with chocolate chip on top.
- Enjoy your moist cupcakes with fluffy cream cheese frosting!
You May Also Like: