Pink Funfetti Cake For Valentine’s Day / Birthday
Pink Funfetti Cake For Valentine’s Day / Birthday. Fluffy two layer cake, stuffed with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Covered with homemade pink buttercream and topped with sprinkles.
Happy Monday Guys!
How was your weekend? Mine was nice and short!
Do you remember that my birthday was about a month ago? I had 3 different cakes for it and today I’m sharing the recipe for one of them, which is also great for Valentine’s Day. This is the cake I made for myself on the actual day. I had another one a good friend of mine made for my party on the following Saturday. There was a third cake my ex co worker brought at a restaurant we met for my birthday, too!
I had a cake overload, along with all the sweets I’ve been making for the blog lately!
I made this cake for my birthday, but it is just perfect for Valentine’s Day! Pink frosting, strawberries and sprinkles, so much fun!
Since I’m a huge fan of the whole funfetti trend, I’ve been keeping a couple of boxes of cake mix in my pantry, just in case I need it.
Well, I decided to bake a quick cake for my birthday, using the mix and cover it in pink (my favorite color) frosting! I also filled it with whipped cream and some strawberries. This cake requires minimal effort, and it could have looked much better, if I was not rushing to make it. It is white cake mix with rainbow sprinkles.
I was very busy on my b-day, answering calls from friends and family and of course receiving presents and flowers.
While I used a box cake to make my life easier, I think I should have added just a little more sprinkles to the batter, to make them stand out more.
The cake layers baked moist and flavorful, not too sweet. The addition of fresh strawberries in the filling was perfect. To be honest, one of my favorite cake fillings is whipped cream, it is much lighter than butter cream and custard.
But it is not used as often as buttercream, because cakes are not as stable and has a tendency to release liquid as it sits inside the cake (even if you use a whipped cream stabilizer).
I hope you enjoy the cake!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix ( I used Pillsbury) and all ingredients needed for it (eggs, oil, water)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 5 large strawberries , sliced
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2-3 drops pink food coloring
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs and oil and beat with a mixer for 2 minutes.
- Spray two 8" cake pans with cooking spray. Divide better between both pans.
- Bake cake layers for the time suggested on the box 34-38 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool completely.
- Beat heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium for 1 minute. Add powder sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment beat butter and shortening together for 4-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to slow and gradually add powdered sugar, beat until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl if required. Add vanilla extract.
- Add heavy cream and beat until fluffy. Add in food coloring and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread whipped cream over the bottom layer of the cake. Add the sliced strawberries. Top with the second cake layer.
- Cover cake completely with buttercream frosting. Top with sprinkles. (I used pink, white and red Valentine's Day sprinkles).
This is a cake my friend made for my Birthday. She makes very nice fondant cakes.