Light Strawberry Topped Mini Cheesecake Cupcakes
I wanted to create a lighter version of my New York Style cheesecake recipe, that’s how this recipe for low fat strawberry topped cheesecake cupcakes came up. I’m happy, when simple desserts are transformed into something cute looking, healthier, and still very delicious.
As some of you already know I love cheesecakes and I’ve shared a couple of cheesecake recipes with you so far. One of them is for a Light No Bake Cheesecake and the other one is for my New York Style Cheesecake Cake with blueberry topping.
I enjoy experimenting with cheesecake recipes, although I know that certain cheesecakes can be fattening. (I shouldn’t say that!)
This time I decided to use as little sugar and sugar substitute as possible and make cheesecake crust with coconut oil instead of butter. Also I used low fat cream cheese, low fat greek yogurt and made strawberry topping with fresh strawberries.
The decision to make mini cheesecakes, instead of a big one made this dessert look cute and elegant and prevent you from overeating it.
These low fat mini cheesecakes topped with flavorful strawberry topping are delightful!
I could have topped them with blueberries, because I absolutely love blueberry cheesecake, but since I recently shared with you a recipe for blueberry cheesecake I used strawberries this time and it turned perfect.
If you don’t want to prepare the topping, you can just top them with fresh fruit, use low fat fruit jam or even healthy and clean chia jam.
- Cheesecake crust:
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Cheesecake filling:
- 2 packs 8oz low fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp low fat Greek yogurt (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Cheesecake topping:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries - chopped
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pulse graham crackers in a blender, or just use graham cracker crumbs. Mix crumbs with coconut oil until combined.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160 C). Line cupcake tin with foil cupcake liners. Press about 1/2 tbsp of crust into each cup.
- Beat cream cheese for 1 minute on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix on medium speed, until combined. Scrape the bowl and paddle as needed.
- Add eggs one by one, mixing on low, heating well after each egg.
- Add yogurt and mix until incorporated. Scrape bowl and paddle and mix again if needed, so all cream cheese is evenly incorporated.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon mixture evenly into the cups, over the crust. Fill to the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes and take out. Let them cool at room temperature.
- Cheesecakes will rise and crack, during baking and then centers will most likely sink. Don't worry, this provides the perfect space to place the topping.
- Topping - combine strawberries and agave nectar in a pot over medium heat. Let them cook for around 15 minutes, until tender. Stir every 3-4 minutes.
- Add vanilla, stir well and remove from heat. Let them cool at room temperature.
- Serve mini cheesecakes with strawberry topping.