Keto Bbq Sauce
Keto Bbq Sauce recipe – made with simple ingredients in 15 minutes. Sugar and gluten free. Tangy, similar to Carolina style bbq sauce, slightly sweet, made with tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, keto friendly sweetener, Worcestershire sauce and sweetener.
This Keto sugar free bbq sauce has been a staple in my kitchen this summer. I do a lot of grilling and lately smoking so I needed a good, sugar-free barbecue sauce. I did some research and found some brands that do sell low-carb Bbq sauces. I actually still haven’t tried any of these. Instead I decided to make my own, homemade Keto Bbq sauce the way I like it.
This Keto barbecue sauce recipe is tomato paste and apple cider vinegar based and tasted similar to Carolina style bbq sauce, rather than regular molasses and mustard based sauces from the Southwest. I’ve always been a fan of tangier Bbq sauces, so this one is perfect.
Stay tuned for some smoked meat recipes that I’ve been working on lately. This is something completely new to me and I loved experimenting. I made the most amazing smoked St Louis Style Ribs and served them with this low-carb bbq sauce.
But first, is Bbq sauce ok on Keto? Yes, if it is sugar-free and low in carbs.
What ingredients do you need to make this easy Keto Bbq Sauce?
- tomato paste from a can
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Low-Carb sweetener like Erythritol, Swerve or Monk fruit sweetener. I’ve been in love with monk fruit sweetener lately.
- Worcestershire Sauce – optional, but it adds flavor
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper (optional, adds a kick of heat)
- Black pepper
- Water to thin the sauce, if necessary
- Onion powder
As you may see, this is a tomato paste based bbq sauce.
I did not use any mustard, but up to 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard can be added.
There are variations of the recipe with sugar-free ketchup. I still haven’t even tried this Ketchup, but I know that Heinz sells it.
Can you add Liquid smoke to homemade bbq sauce?
Of course you can and I I suggest that you do so, if you are a fan of smokey flavors. In this particular recipe and video I did not have any and did not use it, but I tried it in my most recent batch and it works well.
What low-carb sweetener to use for Keto Bbq Sauce?
I used Swerve Confectioners.
“Brown Sugar” alternative low-carb sweetener will also work awesome in this recipe.
I did not have any.
Brown Sugar Keto Sweeteners, that I recommend are:
Can you add Blackstrap Molasses to this Bbq sauce?
You can add up to 1 teaspoon. I did not use any in this version.
How to make Low-Carb Bbq Sauce?
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the sweetener, vinegar and tomato paste.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, spices and butter.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, until everything is incorporated and the sauce has thickened.
- Add water if the sauce is too thick.
What to serve this homemade Keto Bbq Sauce With?
What bbq sauce is Keto friendly?
Keto Bbq Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar — I used Bragg's
- 1/2 cup Monk Fruit Sweetener — Erythritol
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire suace — optional
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika — or 1/4 tsp to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp butter — optional
- water — optional to thin the sauce
In a saucepan over medium heat combine the sweetener, vinegar and tomato paste.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, spices and butter. Cook, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, until everything is incorporated and the sauce has thickened.
Add water if the sauce is too thick.