This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Gnocchi With Mushrooms Recipe – simple and effortless meal, loaded with flavors, made with store bought potato gnocchi and easy homemade mushroom sauce. Perfect for lunch or dinner, this restaurant-worthy dish is a family favorite.
Store bought gnocchi for quick recipes
Store bought potato gnocchi cooks super fast, could be easily found at most stores and tastes delicious, when paired with the right sauce. This gnocchi with mushrooms is ready in 30 minutes and requires minimal ingredients, but is bursting with comfort food flavors.
Have you ever made gnocchi from scratch? I have! It is not as hard as it may seem, but I don’t have the time to make these again…
Spending time with my family is my most important one. My second important one – finding time for myself. Or shall I reverse these?
This is why easy, quick and delicious home cooked meal ideas are essential around here. Did I mention that there are extra points for minimal prep work and no more that 2 pots to wash? Weather is supposed to warm up, so I’d love to spend some more time outdoors and less in the kitchen. (I try to keep up with low-carb, but occasionally I cook pasta, gnocchi, potatoes and rice for my boys).
What ingredients do you need to make this Gnocchi With Mushrooms Recipe?
The combination of meaty mushrooms, garlic and parmesan cheese is my all time favorite. The tender gnocchi absorb the flavors from the mushroom sauce and are then topped with salty Parmesan cheese to complete the outstanding flavor.
- Potato gnocchi (store bought)
- Mushrooms – porcini and baby Bella. Button white will work, too.
- black pepper
- dried oregano
- dry white wine (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
I always prefer buying good quality gnocchi from a trusted brand, to ensure that they are tender and perfect once cooked.
In my opinion, gnocchi by itself, should’t have much of a taste, but instead be a vehicle for a great sauce. So the dish tastes great when your gnocchi is done right, is tender and smothered in a delicious sauce.
How to make gnocchi with mushrooms?
Rehydrate porcini mushrooms following the directions on the package. Chop into small pieces.
Cook gnocchi following the directions on the package.
While the gnocchi is cooking, melt butter in a pan. Add garlic and baby Bella mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the Porcini mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Add cooked gnocchi. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the gnocchi starts ti turn lightly golden. Add the wine, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the cheese, basil (or pesto) and top with parsley. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.
What kind of sauce to serve gnocchi with?
- Creamy white sauce like any cheese sauce or Alfredo sauce
- good old marinara sauce
- pesto sauce
- mushroom sauce (like the one I used today)
- roasted vegetables and butter
- creamy gorgonzola sauce
Porcini mushrooms in pasta and gnocchi sauces
I’ve been planning to write about this for a while, can’t believe why I haven’t already. Do you guys like porcini mushrooms? I love them and substituted part of the mushrooms in this recipe with porcini. So I used baby bella (button mushrooms could be used instead) and porcini, that I rehydrated in advance.
Porcini mushrooms have earthy, rich taste and bring woodsy flavor to dishes. These mushrooms could be easily found in parts of Europe, where I originally come from and are often used in various dishes. People pick these mushrooms, slice and dry them, then sell them, where they are often exported to other countries.
Using porcini in this Gnocchi With Mushrooms Recipe is totally optional. You can use regular mushrooms and the dish will still be delicious.
I sauteed the mushrooms with butter, garlic and spices while the gnocchi was cooking. The I added some white wine (stock could be substituted) and topped with parmesan, parsley and basil.
Simple, elegant and filling gnocchi dish.
Gnocchi With Mushrooms Recipe
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- 4 oz porcini mushrooms, rehudrated, following the directions on the package
- 8 oz baby Bella or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp basil, fresh, chopped, or use 2 tsp pesto sauce instead
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley for garnishing
- Rehydrate porcini mushrooms following the directions on the package. Chop into small pieces.
- Cook gnocchi following the directions on the package.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, melt butter in a pan. Add garlic and baby Bella mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the Porcini mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add cooked gnocchi. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the gnocchi starts ti turn lightly golden. Add the wine, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the cheese, basil (or pesto) and top with parsley. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.