Fresh Plum Coffee Cake With Streusel Topping
This Fresh Plum Coffee cake with Streusel Topping is moist and fluffy and full of flavor. It combines tartness from the plums and mouth watering crunch from the buttery Streusel topping.
I like plums a lot, but it has been kind of difficult to find good ones lately. Sometimes they have no flavor and taste like plastic. I was fortunate enough to get a huge bag of home grown plums from a friend of ours. At first I thought I could make some home made plum jam ( a favorite from my childhood), but until I decide what exactly to do, a massive part of the plums was gone … and I thought I should bake a coffee cake.
As a food blogger I constantly read different blogs and that’s how I found the original version of this recipe, which I later adapted. I got the idea for a fresh plum coffee cake with streusel topping from Marins’s blog – Let The Baking Begin,where she uses her versatile blueberry coffee cake recipe to create a simple cake with plums sprinkled throughout it.
Plums are usually tart and taste really good, when baked. I used Greek yogurt for this coffee cake and did the trick dissolving the baking soda into it, which activates baking soda and makes coffee cake rise even more. I also used coconut oil in the cake, but made the streusel topping with butter. Coconut oil just made this cake extremely soft and fragrant.
You can add fresh or frozen plums in this recipe, I used fresh, but frozen are easier to fold into the batter.
Did you know that plums are very nutritious and low in calories? They are also considered one of the world’s healthiest foods.
This cake tastes delicious on its own, but I would bet it will be even better with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top, too bad I did not have any in my freezer.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- Coffee cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 4 cups pitted plums , cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Streusel topping:
- 5 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease and flour a 9x12 inch baking dish and set a side.
- Start by preparing the streusel topping: Combine butter, sugar and flour in a food processor and pulse until small crumbs are formed. (You can try using a fork for the same result. Keep in the refrigerator.
- Make the coffee cake:
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and stir. Set a side.
- Combine eggs, sugar and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- Combine greek yogurt and baking soda and add to egg mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Then add flour, salt and baking soda and mix until incorporated. Use minimum amount of strokes.
- Gently fold plums.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle streusel topping over it.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 40 - 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- This cake can be served hot with a scoop of ice cream or at room temperature with a cup of coffee.