This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki Recipe – these soft, spiced cookies, dipped in chocolate make the perfect sweet treat this holiday season.
With all the gorgeous and decadent cookie recipes that I’ve been seeing lately, due to the most “cookie heavy” holiday being just around the corner, I decided to share a favorite cookie recipe from my childhood.
It seems like very few people are making these nowadays, but they are very simple to make and definitely festive.
What are Medenki Cookies?
The warm honey and cinnamon flavor in combination with chocolate make these Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki unique and perfect for edible gift.
Even though people don’t make these Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki as often as they bake chocolate chip ot shortbread cookies, you can find Medenki in ethnic and Eastern European stores here in the US.
In Bulgaria they are packaged individually and sold in major supermarkets.
What to serve Medenki with?
They taste great with a cup of tea or coffee.
Serve them with milk for the little ones.
How to make Medenki?
The process of making these Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki is very easy.
- All you need to do is mix up the dough with all ingredients.
- Shape balls, that you then press flat.
- Bake until golden, let them cool and dip one side in melted chocolate.
How to decorate Bulgarian Medenki Cookies?
I chose to dip half of the Bulgarian Honey Cookies in semi-sweet and half in white chocolate.
Do it according to your preference.
To make these cookies, I adapted the recipe from two different medenki recipes, from an old book.
That book has like 6 different recipes for these cookies.
I used powdered sugar in the recipe, which made the cookies extra soft.
Another thing ti pay attention to is that this dough is on the oily side.
But it is easy to work with and shapable.
But don’t worry about that.
Once baked, you’ll be able to taste how delicious these Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki are.
How long to bake medenki for?
Baking time may vary, depending on the size of the cookies.
I baked my cookies for 12-13 minutes, until they started to turn golden.
How to shape medenki?
I used a cookie scoop to shape these, each cookie is made with about 2 tbsp of dough.
Speaking of Bulgarian Cookies, you may also like these:
Bulgarian Honey Cookies Medenki Recipe
For the cookies:
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together eggs and powdered sugar for3 minutes. Add vanilla extract and honey. Mix to combine, then add oil.
- Add the flour mixture in two increments and beat to incorporate. Let the dough rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Shape 2 tbsp balls, place on baking sheets and press flat. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Let the cookies cool down completely.
- Melt white and semi-sweet chocolate separately with 1 tbsp vegetable oil each.
- Dip cookies halfway into chocolate. Let it set. Keep in a air tight container or wrapped in cellophane bags for up to 2 weeks in room temperature or refrigerated.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.