This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Air Fryer Seasoned Fries – quick to make, super crispy and perfectly seasoned. A healthier option for most people’s favorite takeout.
These air fryer seasoned fries are restaurant quality and made with just a few simple ingredients. Serve them on their ow with your favorite dipping sauce or serve with chicken, steak or sandwiches.
Believe it or not, I used to never make french fries at home. I used to just order them, when we eat out. Because let’s face it – deep frying inside your house or apartment is not desirable. It is not fun, it is messy and smells a lot. No matter what you do, deep frying is deep frying and it is best to either do it outdoors or in a professional kitchen.
My kids love them and when there is no good food option on the menu “for them”, French fries it is.
I’ve made my popular Oven Fries quite a few times during the last few years. And they are not complicated to make. They taste almost as “fried” potatoes, but without the added grease.
But why use my convection oven for homemade “baked” fries, when I can use my beloved Air Fryer?
Ever since I started using my Philips XL air fryer, 1.4 L (because I bought it a while back, but never experimented with it), I’ve been making French Fries mainly for my kids almost once a week. I make small amounts, because as tasty as they are, it is not necessary to consume huge amounts of them.
What you need:
- Potatoes – Russet or Yukon Gold. These are my go to varieties, when it comes to fries, no matter if they are fries, oven baked or Air fried. These potatoes have dense texture and this makes them perfect for frying.
- Vegetable oil – yes, if you are new to air frying, you may be wondering why do we need oil? Well, while it is optional, I wouldn’t skip it. It makes the fries super crunchy and crispy and prevents them from drying too much. Vegetable or grape seed oil will work best. Olive oil is not recommended.
I used almost the same seasoning, as I use for oven fries. And don’t worry, these are not spicy at all. They are just perfectly seasoned. Kids love them. If you are concerned with the amount of seasoning, keep in mind, that you can just toss the potatoes in some oil and fry them.
I use a combination of :
- Black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Oregano (optional)
More seasoning ideas:
- Italian seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
What to serve with?
- Chipotle mayo
- Honey mustard sauce
- Keto BBQ sauce
How long to fry French fries in the Air Fryer for?
Before I give my “air frying” time out, I need to clear some things out:
Frying time in the Air fryer depends on the brand and capacity of the air fryer. It also greatly depends on how powerful it is.
For some air fryers it might take 15 minutes to fry 3 medium Russet potatoes and for others the time might be 20 minutes.
My Philips Air Fryer is quite large and I’m able to fit 6 medium potatoes. In this case the frying time is around 20-22 minutes.
Another factor is the room temperature. If you use the Air fryer on the Patio/Balcony just like me and it is cold outside, cooking time may need to be increased with a few minutes.
Since you do need to check on the fries every 3-4 minutes and “shake” the frying basket (my air fryer does not have a rotating bottom), you are going to know when the fries are done.
For 3 medium potatoes (or 2 if your Air fryer is small), it takes 15 minutes at 375 F (180 C) to cook.
Tips to make the perfect Air fryer seasoned fries:
- Wash the fries well. Peel, cut into 1/4 to 1/8 -inch strips and put in a bowl of cold water. Let potatoes release the starches. Rinse under cold water a few times. Drain. Wipe very well with paper towel. This way your Air fryer seasoned fries will be extra crispy.
- In order for the seasoning to stick well to the fries, you need to toss the dried fries in some oil first (very small amount) and then toss in seasoning. This way the oil and spices create a nice coat on the fries.
- There is no need to preheat the air fryer. Here is what I do – I turn it on, set the time, spray the bottom very lightly with cooking spray and add the fries.
- Checking on the fries every 4-5 minutes, to toss and shake them so they are evenly cooked will help you find the perfect cooking time for your own Air fryer. The time I’m giving you is approximate.
More Air Fryer recipes:
- Easy stuffed zucchini boats
- Air fryer chicken strips recipe
- How to make chicken wings in the air fryer
Air fryer seasoned fries
- 2-3 medium Russet, or Yukon potatoes or about 1 pound
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Cut potatoes into thin 1/4 inch or thinner fries.
- Place in a bowl filled with cold water. Let fries release the starches for 5 minutes. Rinse a few times and drain.
- Wipe with paper towel.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle the oil on top. Toss to coat the fries.
- Add the seasoning. Toss again, making sure fries are covered in seasoning.
- Set the air fryer to 380 F. Add the Friesian a single layer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every 4-5 minutes, to make sure they are evenly cooked.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.