Roasted Beet Salad With Goat Cheese And Pistachios
This roasted beet salad with goat cheese and pistachios is light and fresh, with earthy flavor and beautiful color.
This recipe is adapted form “America’s Test Kitchen The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook”. I rarely cook recipes right from a cookbook. I almost always prefer to adapt them to my taste. But since I don’t cook beets that often, I decided to just give this recipe a try. I love America’s Test Kitchen Cookbooks and buy them, whenever a new one is available. I just need some inspiration and cooking ideas.
Roasting beets is one of the easiest ways to prepare them. And I believe one of the least messy ways, too. I’m impressed with the way these roasted beets tasted, so much different from just boiled beets. It was juicy and tender.
After roasting the beets in foil in the oven for 45 minutes, you’ll have to peel them, while still warm. It is much easier, than when it cools down. It is also best to toss the warm peeled beets in the dressing, allowing them to absorb maximum flavor.
Crumbled goat cheese (you can use other cheese, if you are not a fan of goat), arugula and toasted salted pistachios are arranged on salad plates. Then top with seasoned beets.
It is a very simple salad, which combines some great flavors together.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 pound beets, trimmed (I used purple, but golden beets will work)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 teaspoons sherry vinegar (if you don’t have sherry vinegar, apple cider or rice vinegar could be used. Sherry vinegar is wood aged vinegar. )
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped salted roasted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Wrap beets individually in aluminum foil and place on baking sheet. Roast for 45-50 minutes, until knife (skewer) inserted into the center meets little resistance.
- Remove beets from oven and remove foil. Let them cool, until they are cool enough to handle and rub off skins with paper towels. Cut into wedges.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper in a large bowl. Add beets and toss to coat. Let them cool completely, while in the marinade.
- Add arugula to beets and toss to coat. Divide between 2 smaller salad bowls (plates).
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with goat cheese and pistachios.