Iced Vanilla Coffee Latte Recipe (Using Nespresso)
|Iced Vanilla Latte|
It’s been pretty nice and hot for the last 3-4 days and I think it’s time to start making iced coffee.
Today I made an iced vanilla coffee latte using my Nespresso Coffee Machine. This recipe is a great alternative to hot latte in the summer time.
|Iced Vanilla Latte|
Nespresso is the brand name of Nestle Nespresso. Their machines brew espresso from coffee capsules, pre-apportioned single use coffee cups of ground coffee and flavorings.
Nespresso offers a number of different machines for sale. The machines carry brand names like Miele, Siemens and DeLonghi. In 2000 Nespresso started distributing coffee machines with the Nespresso brand.
Nespresso coffee capsules are made from aluminum and are more-expensive than portions of ground coffee purchased loose. The cost per serving is around three times more than the alternative brewing methods. Each capsule contains 5-6 grams ground coffee and makes one cup coffee. Depending on the length of the pour the capsule is designed for 40 ml for an espresso shot or 110 ml for a unto (long espresso).
Process of making coffee – the aluminum capsules are hermetically sealed and depending on the machine used the flat top of the capsule is pierced, when inserted in the machine and the compartment lever is lowered. The machine pumps hot water under high pressure into holes poked into the narrow end of the capsule. The flat bottom end of the capsule bows out , as it is made from thinner foil. The base of the capsule holder has raised squares, which causes the foil to rupture there. The brewed coffee exits the capsule through this rupture holes and flows through the funnel nozzle into the cup. The spent capsule must be removed from the holder.
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 double shot espresso (I’m using Nespresso Vanilito)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (if you are not using vanilla flavored coffee, you’ll need to add vanilla extract)
- 1 cup cold milk
- sweetener (honey, sugar, agave nectar or maple syrup)
- whip cream, cinnamon, (optional)
- Fill a 12 oz glass with ice. Pour milk and add sweetener and if you are not using a vanilla flavored espresso add vanilla extract and stir. Add espresso. You can also add to your drink whip cream and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.