Butternut Squash, Spinach and Bacon Quiche
This butternut squash, spinach and bacon quiche is very simple to prepare and full of a wonderful combination of flavors. It makes the ultimate breakfast healthy treat.
Happy Monday! How was your weekend?
I decided I really needed to relax and take that last weekend off, just minimize work as much as possible. Get enough sleep, make some coffee in the morning, listen to some music and of course make a homemade breakfast.
A slice of this butternut squash, spinach and bacon quiche will be perfect for a restful morning at home.
Last week, on Black Friday, I got a free cook book at Costco, called: “Fabulous Food The Costco Way”. The took features outstanding recipes, that showcase the wonderful variety of foods sold at Costco. I enjoyed the book a lot and flipping through the pages, I found a recipe for butternut squash, spinach and bacon quiche.
This combination of ingredients is great for making an outstanding dish. And of course, I’ve been craving quiche for a while now. I’m trying very hard to transform myself into a “breakfast type of person”. So for that reason I need to cook hearty breakfasts more often, or at least each weekend, when we’re home.
I love everything about this dish! Trying to cook with seasonal ingredients lately, butternut squash was the perfect vegetable for this quiche. The addition of Gorgonzola cheese balanced the flavors perfectly. Of course it could be substituted with feta or any other cheese of your choice. You might know that feta and spinach pair cry well in dishes, but surprisingly the spinach and Gorgonzola combo was fantastic!
If you are not a huge fan of butternut squash (I like it, but it has a sweet taste, which some people don’t like), I think that potatoes or mushrooms would be a good substitute for it in the recipe. Make sure you adjust cooking times.
Last, but not least, I made the pie shell from scratch, but store bought should work fine and will save you some time.
What is your favorite weekend breakfast treat?Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar).
- 5 tbsp cold butter
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2½ cups butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes (1/2 medium butternut squash)
- 1 small white onion (or 3 shallots) chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt, butter and water until crumbs form.Transfer dough to a lightly floured working surface and form a ball. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a 11 inch diameter circle. Transfer to a 9 inch pie dish and cut out hanging dough.Make sure it fits perfectly into the pie dish, and there are no air pockets. Chill for another 30 minutes. (Optional, but recommended, so the dough doesn't spread or change shape).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake pie crust for 15 minutes, until edges start turning golden. Take out of the oven and let it sit to cool for 15 more minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Saute butternut squash and onion for 10 minutes. Squash should get tender and onions translucent. Add in the garlic, stir and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add in sautéed vegetables, spinach, Gorgonzola cheese and bacon. Stir until combined.
- Transfer to the pie shell and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow quiche to cool and set for at least 5 minutes before serving.