Pumpkin And Peanut Butter Cupcakes
These pumpkin and peanut butter cupcakes are extremely moist and if served without frosting, turn to the perfect fall muffins. Full of flavor, protein, moist crumbs and loaded with my favorite pumpkin pie spice.
Peanut butter is one of those ingredients, that I love cooking with. I like it in a combination with jelly, chocolate or just on its own. Sometimes I even refrain from buying it, just because I love it so much. But right now I have two huge jars at home and I’m ready to bake some exciting stuff.
The thing is that I had never tried the combination of peanut butter and pumpkin. That’s how the idea to whip up these cupcakes came. They can totally turn into muffins, but we enjoyed them with my current favorite cupcake frosting – Cream Cheese And Whipped Cream Frosting. So what’s really the difference between cupcakes and muffins? Is it the thickness of the batter ? I guess just add some streusel topping, skip the frosting and you’ve got some pumpkin and peanut butter muffins.
Halloween is just 3 days away, are you getting ready? Are you dressing up, going trick or treating with your kids?
I just realized that I do not have any Halloween recipes on the blog, so I just added some orange sprinkles to the cupcakes and converted them into Halloween ones.
These cupcakes have a slight peanut butter flavor. They are not dry and have a moist cake like crumb, due to the buttermilk and canola oil used. Not very sweet, which allows you to add a slightly sweeter frosting. Batter is very easy to make, just a little on the thick side. You can use a frosting of your choice, as long as it goes well with these cupcakes’s fall flavor. The possibilities are endless! If you’d like you can also add some candy corn or any Halloween style candy on top of the frosting to decorate .
I recently shared a recipe for vanilla cupcakes with whipped cream and cream cheese frosting, which is light, fluffy, pipes well onto cupcakes and can also be used on cakes. I decided to use it on my pumpkin and peanut butter Halloween cupcakes.
Pumpkin And Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 2 large eggs — , egg yolks separated from egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin pure
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Cream Cheese And Whipped Cream Frosting
- Cream cheese and Whipped Cream Frosting
- 8 oz (225 gr) softened cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar — (preferably sifted)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅕ cup heavy cream
Pumpkin And Peanut Butter Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). Line a cupcake tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until combined. Add peanut butter and oil and beat until incorporates. Add in pumpkin and mix unit combined, then add buttermilk.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, transfer batter to cupcake cups, filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely, before frosting.
Cream cheese and whipped cream frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat heavy cream on high for 1-2 minutes (do not over beat). Refrigerate.
- In a second bowl beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until incorporated. Start on low and increase speed. Make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure all cream cheese is incorporated.
- Carefully fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.
- Fill a piping bag (use your favorite tip) and pipe frosting onto cool cupcakes.
- Keep cupcakes refrigerated.
For best results use buttermilk.
For the cream cheese and whipped cream frosting, make sure that cream cheese is at room temperature and heavy cream is cold.
If it happens that you make the frosting in advance, keep refrigerated.
Keep cupcakes refrigerated.
Any Halloween style candy can be used to decorate the cupcakes.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 398, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 254mg, Potassium: 151mg, Carbohydrates: 47g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 33g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 39.8%, Vitamin C: 0.7%, Calcium: 5.3%, Iron: 6.4%
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)