One Pot Chicken With Potatoes and Vegetables
Today’s recipe is for one pot chicken with potatoes and vegetables. It takes minimal effort to make and tastes amazing! You honestly don’t need a whole chicken to prepare this one pot meal, drumsticks work just fine. This recipe is a signature for Bulgarian (and other Eastern European) cooking, where chicken tights and drumsticks are cooked in a pot with potatoes. Of course I’ve changed the recipe a little and that’s what I’m sharing with you today.
This meal is also very inexpensive, although I used organic chicken drumsticks. All you need to do is season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder a little oregano and paprika, chop your vegetables and place them in a baking pan (Pyrex dish). The original recipe suggests that you add water to the baking pan, but since I add other vegetables, besides potatoes and chicken releases juices, I do not add any extra water to it. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for an hour. Then uncover the pan and bake for another 15 minutes or until chicken turns golden and vegetables seem cooked.
The great thing about this meal is that you can feel free to season chicken drumsticks with whatever spices you would like and of course use your favorite vegetables. I usually like adding to my chicken with potatoes with baby carrots, chopped bell peppers and (my favorite) zucchini.
Simple and delicious, this one pot chicken with potatoes and vegetables is the perfect way to enjoy other parts of the chicken like drumsticks.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- 6 medium chicken drumsticks
- to season drumsticks:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley (optional)
- Vegetables :
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used red and yellow mini bell peppers)
- 1 lb yellow potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp chicken bullion powder (optional)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt (might need more, depending on your taste)
- fresh or dried parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Prepare an oven safe baking pan (Pyrex dish) and lightly spray the inside with olive oil. (I use Misto oil sprayer for that).
- Spray or brush chicken drumsticks with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika oregano and dried parsley. Make sure they are evenly coated with seasoning.
- On the bottom of the baking pan layer potatoes, zucchini, carrots, peppers and onions. Season with chicken bullion powder, salt and pepper. You can add some more olive oil over vegetables (totally optional), but chicken will release enough fat during cooking.
- Place seasoned drumsticks over vegetables and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 1 hour then uncover and continue baking for 15 - 20 more minutes. Vegetables should appear cooked, and meat should be soft when pierced with fork.
- Remove from the oven and serve right away. You can garnish with fresh chopped parsley.