Sweet and Moist Pumpkin Bread
I’m so glad it is pumpkin season and I’m very happy seeing all sorts of pumpkin recipes on many other food blogs and in magazines. I realized I haven’t shared a pumpkin recipe in a while, and the only pumpkin recipes I’ve shared so far are for drinks:Pumpkin Spice Smoothie and Pumpkin Spice Latte. October has arrived and it is time to make some pumpkin bread. I love enjoying a slice of this bread with my morning or afternoon coffee.
I decided to transform my original pumpkin bread recipe into something a little healthier and surprisingly it worked, without changing the taste and texture of the bread.
I reduced the amount of sugar with 1/4 cup, but added a ripe mashed banana, which brought extra sweetness. Although I’ve always made this bread with regular unbleached flour so far, I substituted about half of the flour with whole wheat (I’m still too scared to use whole wheat flout only, since my last attempts were disastrous). Instead of canola oil I used melted coconut oil, which made this bread light and moist. I topped with raw unsalted pumpkin seeds, which created extra crunch after baking.
Using low fat Greek yogurt made this bread extra smooth moist and creates unique flavor.
Make sure you leave bread cool inside the pan for at least 20 minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack, until it cools completely. This step is important, otherwise bread will fall apart and will not be as fluffy!
Feel free to add some walnuts, pecans or even chocolate chips to this bread. I just prefer it plain, since the nutritional values and flavor can change a little.
This bread can be wrapped in plastic wrapped and stored in a dry place for up to 3 days. We had some friends over for the weekend, so it was gone in no time, but I’ll make it again!
I really hope you guys aren’t getting too bored with pumpkin recipes as I’m planning to share at least a few more this fall.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup melted coconut oil (not hot)
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup pumpkin pure
- 1 medium ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Beat egg and sugar for 1 minute. Add coconut oil and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Dissolve baking soda in yogurt and add to egg mixture. Then add banans and pumpkin pure. Mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl combine wheat flour, unbleached flour, salt, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice and stir.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Oil and flour a baking pan (I used 11x7 in pan) and pour mixture. Top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake on 400F for 10 mins. Then reduce temperature to 350 F for 45 mins.
- Take out of the oven, but leave bread in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and set on a cooling rack until it cools to room temperature.
- Cut and enjoy!