– 2 tbsp vegetable oil – 3 cloves garlic — minced – 1/4 cup diced onion – 1 carrot, large — 3 - 4 oz – 2 tbsp tomato paste – 1/4 cup tomato sauce — optional – 1 1/4 cups lentils — I used a mix of green, red split and black lentils, but green only work great. – 12 oz potatoes — cut into bite sized pieces – 2 tsp salt – 1/4 tsp black pepper – 1/4 tsp thyme – 1/2 tsp oregano – 4-5 cups water
1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, to prevent burning.
2. Add in the tomato paste, tomato sauce and lentils. Cook for 1 minute. Add potatoes. Pour 4 cups of water on top.
3. Add salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-35 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and potatoes are tender.
4. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.
Add up to 1 more cup of water, if you don't want the soup to be too thick.
Instead for water, you can use vegetable or chicken stock (broth) for more flavor.
You can add 1 bay leaf if you are a fan of the flavor.
Easy Lentil Potato Soup Recipe – quick and simple to make, chunky, hearty and comforting meal, perfect for the cold weather. Nutritious lentils, rich in protein and fiber, combined with potatoes for a healthy and flavorful soup.
FIND YOUR NEXT FAVORITE RECIPE
Simple, Low-Carb and Keto recipes