– 3 1 /2 cups all purpose flour — unbleached is preferred, but bleached will work as well – 1 1/4 cups white sugar – 1/4 salt – 2 tsp baking powder – 1 tsp vanilla extract — optional – 250 ml oil – 400 ml water – 1-2 tsp lemon or orange zest
1. Preheat oven 350 F (180 C).
2. Line a 9x9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Add the water, oil and vanilla. Beat until just incorporated. Add citrus zest if using any and mix to combine.
4. Bake at 350 (180 C) for 45 minutes or in a fan oven at 160 for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
6. Cut into squares.
7. A round 9 inch pan will work in this recipe as well.
Water Cake - easy to make, flavorful, inexpensive. Great for quarantine baking. For a fancier version - add whipped cream and fresh fruit on top.
FIND YOUR NEXT FAVORITE RECIPE
Simple, Low-Carb and Keto recipes