Cherry Smoothie – Sweet, slightly tart and creamy, perfect for a snack of breakfast on the go. Quick to make with just 4 main ingredients and some optional add-ins in 5 minutes at home. Vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar free, easy to make, nutritious and satisfying.
I wish I had fresh cherries for this smoothie. Although you’ll still be able to find fresh ones, at this time of the year (still a little too early), I would prefer to just snack on them.
And for a smoothie like this Sweet Cherry Smoothie, I like to use frozen cherries.
They are widely available, you can easily find them in the frozen aisle of most major grocery stores.
As much as I love the tart cherry lime combo in limeades and cocktails, I can tell you I prefer my smoothies on the sweet side. That’s why I tested 3 different cherry smoothie recipes, but just couldn’t get it right.
Did not seem to reach the desired creamy consistency and the combination of yogurt and tart cherries did not taste good to me. So I’m not a fan of cherry yogurt smoothies, but I do like cherry banana smoothies.
That’s why I added 1 banana, (you can’t really taste it) for thickness and creaminess.
I used almond milk instead of yogurt and sweetened this smoothie with honey. Adding honey is optional, if you prefer smoothies, that are not too sweet, you might want to taste it before you add honey.
How to make a smoothie?
- You need a liquid element, in this case this is the almond milk. If you prefer, you can use coconut milk, coconut water or even regular water in different smoothie recipes.
- A frozen element to make the smoothie chick, otherwise it might have the consistency of a glass of juice. In this frozen cherry smoothie recipe, we used frozen cherries. Some recipes call for 2-3 frozen fruits or veggies, but please be careful, make sure you add enough liquid to the blender, do the smoothie blends well. Too many frozen elements will make it difficult for the blender to blend and even if it is able to do it, the smoothie will have the consistency of soft serving ice-cream.
- Sweetener – this element is totally optional. I don’t add a sweetener, unless it is highly necessary. I prefer to reduce the amount of sugar I consume. Sweeteners that could be used are – honey, liquid stevia, agave nectar or maple syrup. Some people add regular sugar to smoothies, I prefer not to.
- Non-frozen element like the banana in this recipe. Other smoothie recipes call for apples, pears, greens like spinach and kale.
- Add optional ingredients like thickeners and super foods. In this cherry lime smoothie recipe I used almond butter – this added more protein and magnesium to the smoothie, flax meal – thickening agent rich in antioxidants and fiber and chia seeds for a boost of energy.
Order to put ingredients in a smoothie.
- Liquids (milk, nut milk, water, juice, yogurt)
- Dry Goods (grains, seasonings powders)
- Leafy Greens (spinach, kale)
- Fruits & Veggies (non frozen)
- Ice & Frozen Ingredients
What ingredients do I need to make this Cherry Smoothie?
- almond milk
- frozen cherries
- lime juice
- agave nectar for extra sweetness
- almond butter
- chia seeds
- flax meal
How to make this cherry smoothie?
Place all ingredients in a blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
What kind of cherries shall I use for this cherry smoothie?
Any cherries will work. I love sweet black cherries, but if I can’t find them at the store, I’ll get whatever kind they have.
Can you use fresh cherries in this cherry smoothie recipe? The answer is yes.
More Smoothie Recipes:
Sweet and refreshing cherry smoothie, easy to make with 4 ingredients in 5 minutes.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 -2 tsp honey or agave nectar optional
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.