Spinach, Feta And Peppers Omelet
Spinach, Feta And Peppers Omelet – easy to make, packed with nutritious ingredients, great for a healthy breakfast.
This spinach, feta and peppers omelet has been a breakfast favorite of mine lately. The combination of spinach and feta makes this omelet a Greek touch. I love adding browned peppers in my omelet, since the flavor they release when lightly browned is unique. Fluffy eggs, creamy feta cheese and great texture and crunch from the spinach and peppers. This is the ultimate healthy hearthy breakfast!
This omelet is also full of nutrition -we all know that eggs are full of protein, feta cheese is rich in calcium and magnesium, peppers contain vitamins and carotenoids and spinach is full of fiber and low in fat. I like to throw in some chopped green onions for a garden fresh flavor. Feel free to make your omelet with egg whites if that works better with your diet. You can also add other veggies and use different cheese if you don’t like feta, but flavor will be very different without it. The spinach feta combination has a unique taste.
The recipe is simple, but creating the perfect omelet might be difficult at times. I like my omelets fluffy, but still firm to hold the stuff inside. I recommend adding some water or milk (half and half) to the beaten eggs, which will keep them fluffy but not tough. Another thing you can do to prevent getting overcooked eggs is to heat them over medium heat and also don’t forget the fluffing technique using a rubber spatula, pulling the set eggs towards the center of the skillet to allow the unset eggs to run from the center to the side.
I always make omelets with butter, to sauté the vegetables and to cook my eggs, but olive oil works as well.
This breakfast reminds me of my childhood, when my dad used to make omelets for us almost every weekend, but he always added meat and made them huge.
This simple omelet breakfast is the perfect way to start your day.
Spinach, Feta And Peppers Omelet
- 1 tbsp butter — (divided )
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp half and half — (water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers in different colors
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions — (optional)
- In a small bowl beat eggs and half and half (water) and add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter and add chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes, until slightly browned. Add spinach, green onions, some salt, pepper and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- For the eggs, you can use the same skillet that you used for the vegetables, just transfer them to a small bowl and wipe skillet with paper towel.
- Melt the remaining butter over medium heat and add eggs. When eggs start to set around the edges (in about 1 minute), using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon start to pull them from the side to the center so the uncooked eggs will cook too. Repeat this until omelet is almost cooked, but a layer of unset egg is visible on top. Add vegetables and crumbled cheese over half of the omelet. With a spatula fold unfilled half over filling.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a plate and serve warm.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 398, Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 402mg, Sodium: 685mg, Potassium: 485mg, Carbohydrates: 9g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 19g, Vitamin A: 126%, Vitamin C: 126.9%, Calcium: 29.5%, Iron: 16.2%