Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion , chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- salt and black pepper
- First pick through lentils to remove any rocks or soil. ( They usually come cleaned pre-washed, but I like to double check). Wash lentils under running water.
- Heat olive oil (or butter). Add carrots, onion and garlic . Stir on medium heat for 5 minutes until they soften. Add red lentils. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes You might want to add more water during cooling.
- Serve hot garnished with parsley.