Quinoa Pasta With Tomato Mushroom Sauce
Quinoa Pasta Blend with homemade tomato Portobello mushroom sauce. Simple to make, vegetarian and gluten free. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
I haven’t posted a pasta recipe in a while, I know. But I just recently found this quinoa pasta blend by Nature’s Earthly Choice and wanted to share my experience with you.
I have a problem – my husband loves pasta so much, so he is constantly asking me to make some, or he makes it. I do like eating pasta once a week, but not more often than that. But I must admit, pasta is one of the easiest dinners for a busy week night.
I often prefer to make my own pasta sauce and load it with flavors, just the way I like it. For this quinoa pasta I made a simple tomato – Portobello mushroom sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese. It turned out extremely delicious.
Back on the pasta – you know I’m happy, when quinoa is involved in recipes, so when I saw “quinoa pasta”, I had to try it! I got it at Costco. By the way, it is also available on Amazon. The blend is : Nature’s Earthly Choice and it is imported from Italy. It is a great alternative for people, who follow gluten free diet. Besides quinoa, this penne pasta contains corn and rice. It only has 200 calories per serving.
What I liked about it is that it doesn’t taste much different than regular pasta. It also easily absorbed the flavors of the sauce . Let me know if you ever get to try it.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
This post contains affiliate links.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa penne pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 1 clove of garlic , pressed
- one 14.5 oz (411g) can of diced tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and sautee onions for 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and carrots and cook for 5 more minutes. Then add garlic, tomatoes, sugar, salt, black pepper, basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue to cook on medium, stirring frequently, for about 10 more minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil. Add in the pasta. Add a pinch of salt.
- Boil pasta for 11-13 minutes, or until the pasta has reached the desired texture. Rinse pasta with cold water.
- Divide pasta between two bowls. Add sauce and top with Parmesan cheese.
This sauce is just enough for 2 servings of pasta.