Pinto Bean Soup
|Pinto Bean Soup|
Cooking pinto beans can take some time, but this soup is really good! Adding some bacon makes it very tasty, although you can skip it if you strive for a healthy vegetarian meal.
Pinto beans, like all beans are a great source of protein and fiber. They also contain vitamins like B1 and B6 and minerals like copper, magnesium and potassium.
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 4 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1-2 chopped carrot
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Vegeta
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- Pick through and rinse beans.
- Soak beans in water overnight. Drain off water.
- In a skillet brown bacon, add onion and carrot. Add tomato sauce. Stir.
- Add spices.
- Add mixture to drained beans.
- Pour around 6 cups of water. (Might need more water, depending on the desired consistency of the soup).
- Simmer on medium heat for 3 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Check if beans are soft enough and cooked the way you like them.
- Serve warm, garnished with green onion and cheese.