One-Pan Chicken And Rice
This one-pan chicken and rice with mushrooms and spinach is full of great flavors and perfect for a quick dinner. Ready in under one hour, it is one of my all time favorite meals to cook.
Happy Friday! How was your work week? Mine was pretty short and sweet. I’ve been trying to get some work done while struggling with a terrible cold I got a couple of days ago. NyQuil is my best friend these days, but it doesn’t let me get much done since I feel sick, tired and sleepy. I just can’t wait to get better!
Back to school and work, as we know summer is over. Pumpkin, apple and slow cooker recipes have been popular this week. I decided to share with you a simple one-pan chicken and rice dinner, I make very often. I often use whatever kind of vegetables I have in the recipe, but my favorite ones are baby Bella mushrooms and spinach.
I used boneless skinless chicken breast, which takes less time to cook and it is a lot easier to eat than bone-in chicken thighs. Chicken thighs look great in pictures and of course meat cooked on the bone tastes a lot better. Although I use them in various dishes, at times I just feel there isn’t as much meat as I’d like. And it takes some time to search for meat around the bones. I have a very easy decision – just use chicken breast, but be careful not to overcook it and make it too dry.
Hope you like it!
Have a great weekend!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 12 oz chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1 cup white rice , not instant or minute rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed
- 8 oz mushrooms , sliced (I used baby Bella)
- 1/2 large yellow pepper or 3 small ones , chopped
- more salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups washed baby spinach , packed
Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano (optional).
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook chicken pieces or 2-3 minutes per side, until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, until no longer translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes, until water from mushrooms has almost evaporated. Add peppers and rice. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken stock and spinach and stir to combine. Cover with a lid or foil and transfer to the oven.
Cook covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid/foil and add in chicken pieces. Add some water or chicken stock, if too dry. Bake uncovered for about another 10 minutes. (Chicken is cooked when the temperature of the meat is 165F).
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve and enjoy.