Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet – quick and easy to make, delicious and filling made with either roast beef or prime rib leftovers. Meaty, loaded with mushrooms, some onions and peppers and a cheesy top.
This Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet is perfect for a simple, effortless Keto friendly dinner.
Keto friendly Philly cheesesteak casserole made in a cast iron skillet, that comes together quickly and can be served with low carb bread or your favorite salad. These 30 minute dinner recipes are just perfect for busy working people or stay at home moms, because they require minimal effort and ingredients to make.
What is Philly Cheesesteak?
Also known as a Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheesesteak sandwich, or steak and cheese) is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll.
Today’s recipe is a low-carb, variation of the traditional recipe.
What ingredients do you need to make this Keto friendly Philly Cheesesteak Skillet?
- olive oil or butter
- garlic or garlic powder
- bell peppers
- mushrooms (optional, but recommended)
- chicken or beef broth
- beef (either raw or cooked leftovers)
- paprika (optional)
- black pepper
- Italian Seasoning (optional)
- cheese – I used mozzarella, but American and Provolone are the most commonly used cheeses for Philly
What kind of meat to use in Philly Cheesesteak?
There are several options available, when it comes to what kind of beef to use in this Philly Cheesesteak Skillet: You can use any leftovers of steak that you have, or cook the beef, before adding the vegetables and cheese.
If I don’t have any prime rib leftovers, I’d usually cook skirt steak of sirloin, very thinly sliced (shaved) across the grain. To make the slicing process of a raw steak easier, quickly freeze the meat for 30-60 minutes, then slice. Firm meat is much easier to shave than soft, room temperature meat.
- Cooked Prime rib leftovers
- Thinly sliced Ribeye (pricey)
- flank steak
- Skirt steak
- ground beef
- Cooked Roast Beef
- Boneless Beef Short Ribs
How to make this low-carb Philly cheesesteak?
- If using raw steak (not leftovers), slice very thin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the pepper, onions and mushrooms. (1/4-1/8 – inch thick)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers, mushrooms, salt and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened and the liquid from the mushrooms has almost evaporated.
- Add the steak – if using raw shaved steak, cook for 2-3 minutes, if using cooked leftover steak, cook for 1 minute. Add the stock. Cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Top with cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve.
What to top this skillet with?
- hot sauce
- chipotle mayo
More Keto Dinner Recipes:
For More Keto Recipes On Cooking LSL Check Here.
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 cup mushrooms — optional, but recommended
- 1/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb beef — either raw or cooked leftovers
- 1/4 tsp paprika — optional
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Italian Seasoning — optional
- 2/3 cheese - I used shredded mozzarella — but American and Provolone are the most commonly used cheeses for Philly, even Pepper Jack cheese will work
If using raw steak (not leftovers), slice very thin. Season with salt and pepper.
Slice the pepper, onions and mushrooms. (1/4-1/8 - inch thick)
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers, mushrooms, salt and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened and the liquid from the mushrooms has almost Â evaporated. Add the remaining seasonings.
Add the steak - if using raw shaved steak, cook for 2-3 minutes, if using cooked leftover steak, cook for 1 minute. Add the stock. Cook for 1-2 more minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Top with cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve.
This recipe was so easy and delish ! & the best Keto Community anywhere I read it everyday , and I’m also grateful I found , it help me not only loose weight but also keep it off , hope it helps some others on here too !
This was a delicious, easy recipe that went together quickly. The whole family liked it. A great way to use leftover steak.
I followed the instructions and at the end of the meal, I noticed that my “optional seasonings” were still on the kitchen counter. The recipe never said when to use them! Should they be rubbed on the steak or added to the broth??
Delish!! My non-keto husband LOVED it too!! We will definitely make this again!
Thanks for the nice comment! Glad to hear this!
I made this tonight since I had leftover beef roast, my husband loved it! Great flavors and textures, topped with Italian cheese(what I had in the fridge) – quick, easy, tasty.
Made this tonight w/ leftover roast and, WOW. Both DH & I loved it. Gr8 recipe to add to our LC/Keto WOE. Thx!
So good. I used left over smoked roast beef with au jus, instead of the beef broth. Then I topped it onto Caesar salad. I have quite often done a stir chicken with onion and peppers on top of Caesar salad, but this is a great variation. I used mixed old cheddar and mozzarella as that is the cheese I had. I will definitely be making this again.
I was wondering when to add the broth? I didn’t see it in the instructions. Also how many ounces is a serving? Thank you! Looks delicious!
Broth is optional, after you sautee the vegetables.