Keto Sponge Cake
Low carb, gluten and sugar free, Keto Sponge Cake layers with berry mascarpone whipped cream in between. I made mini layer cakes, but a larger 8-inch later cake could be made instead. This low carb dessert is perfect for summer and also makes an elegant Birthday cake.
Keto Desserts are my passion, I just love experimenting and creating low carb sweets that contain no white sugar or flour.
This is by far my favorite low carb cake. While it is not just a quick dump and bake cake recipe, this is so worth trying. Take the extra steps, bake your gluten and sugar free cake layers and make the creamiest, fresh berry filling with mascarpone cheese.
This cake is made with lots of eggs and coconut flour. There is no nut flour in it at all.
This low carb sponge cake is perfect for celebration.
If you don’t want to make it with mascarpone filling (mascarpone is full of fats, great for Keto diet), you can make cream cheese whipped cream or just whip some heavy cream with low carb sweetener.
What flout to use for low carb sponge cake?
I did test this Keto cake recipe with almond flour only, then with a combination of almond and coconut flour and coconut flour only.
The cake made with almond flour was way too dense and nothing close to a sponge cake. I’m a baker, I knew the cake made with coconut and almond flour will not work either, but I did try it as well. It was still dense and not spongy at all.
Then I made the cake with just coconut flour and it turned out amazing on the first try.
How to make low carb sponge cake
This recipe is for an 8-inch (20 cm) cake.
- Prepare an 8-inch round cake pan by lining it with parchment paper and spraying with oil the bottom and sides of it.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (170 C), 150 C with a fan.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- In a bowl combine the egg yolks, sweetener, coconut flour, vanilla, salt and whisk to combine.
- Slowly, fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into the pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, then cool completely.
- Loosen the cake with a knife and remove from the pan.
- Cut into 2 layers through the middle.
- You can at this point use the layers with any low-carb cake filling you’d like. Look into the recipe card for the Keto mascarpone mousse or make this Keto chocolate mousse cake filling.
More low carb desserts
Low Carb Sponge Cake With Strawberry Mousse
- Low carb sponge cake
- 6 large eggs — separated
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 5 tbsp powdered erythritol
- 6 tbsp coconut flour — sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter — melted and cooled
- Low carb strawberry mascarpone mousse
- 2/3 cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp powdered erythritol + 1 tsp
- 1/3 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350Line the bottom of an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper, very lightly spray the bottom and sides with cooking spray, set aside.
Beat egg whites cream of tartar until stiff peak on medium speed, it will take about 3-5 minutes.
In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt and vanilla, stir to combine.
Add about 1/3 cup of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and stir to thin. Fold in the remaining egg whites on 3 additions. Then add in the melted butter, folding carefully (you don't want to deflate it).
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is set and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool inside the pan for 15 min, then cool on a wire rack.
Using a sharp knife cut the cake in half through the middle, then cut out 3 4 inch rounds out of each layer.
Alternatively you can bake the cake in a jelly roll pan - 10x15 inches. Bake for 15 minutes, then cool and cut out 6 circles.
For the mousse:
Cook strawberries with 1 tsp of sweetener for 7-10 minutes on the stove top until soft. Blend in a blender until smooth. Cool completely .
In a bowl beat together the mascarpone and sweetener for 1 minute. Add the strawberry puree and beat to combine. With the mixer running in medium, slowly pour in the heavy cream and beat for 2 minutes, until fluffy.
Use the mousse between the layers of the cake.