Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe
Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe – very quick and easy to make, nutritious and delicious soup made with cabbage, ground beef and tomatoes. Hearty, one pot, a family favorite, perfect for the cold weather.
As a child, I never liked cabbage soup. I wouldn’t even smell it. But ever since I made this Keto Cabbage Soup, this soup has turned into a go to meal. Fortunately, my little guy loves all kinds of soups, this is why I feel obligated to make different soups, 3-4 times a week.
Have you heard about the cabbage soup diet though? It is not a diet I support and its popularity has faded lately. Instead I prefer a balanced low-carb diet.
Looking for low-carb options, I decided to try making a cabbage soup with meat. You can use chopped beef, instead of ground beef, if this is what you have and prefer.
In order for you to like this soup, you need to use the right seasoning. zWhile cabbage is nutritious and low-calorie, it doesn’t have a ton of flavor of its own. This is why, a simple combination of salt, pepper, thyme, paprika and bay leaf works well in this recipe.
Cabbage is very popular in my home country and I cook a lot with is. I use it in salad, stews, sautee it or make stuffed cabbage leaves.
What can I make with cabbage and ground beef?
You can make stuffed cabbage leaves or cabbage and ground beef soup.
Another option is to sautee the cabbage with the ground beef together for a simple and effortless meal. You can also make a taco style cabbage salad with ground beef.
What ingredients do I need to make Keto cabbage soup?
- olive oil
- ground beef
- black pepper
- bone broth, preferably beef
- bay leaf (optional)
How do you make homemade cabbage soup?
Keep in mind that you may see the exact same soup recipe under different names like: Stuffed cabbage soup, Unstuffed Cabbage Soup, Cabbage Roll Soup, Cabage and Ground Beef Soup.
There are different ways to make it – on the stove top, in the crock pot or in an Instant Pot. I personally prefer the stove top version, because it doesn’t take very long time to make. It is ready in 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spatula, until crumbled for 7-8 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, cabbage, Bay leaf, thyme, oregano, paprika and broth.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, until the cabbage is cooked and tender.
- Season with more salt and black pepper.
How many calories are in this soup with cabbage ?
This cabbage soup recipe makes 12 one-cup servings and each has 145 calories and 5 net carbs.
How do you make cabbage soup taste better?
Since the beef or cabbage have a ton or flavor, you need to add some seasoning. I like the combination of oregano and thyme and I also add bay leaf. You may want to use Italian Seasoning or even taco seasoning, depending on what you like. Just follow the same directions, but use different seasoning.
Using a good bone broth will make the soup taste even better.
Can you have cabbage on Keto?
Absolutely! Cabbage soup is perfect for Keto. Just make sure you make it with ground beef for the extra fat and protein. This Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe is perfect for Keto meal planning.
Can this Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe be made in a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make this Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe in a Slow Cooker or and Instant Pot. I rarely use both of these devices, since most of my soup recipes come together in 30 minutes or less.
Instant Pot Keto Cabbage Soup Instructions:
The ingredients are the same.
- Set the Instant Pot to “sautee” (15 minutes), wait until it is hot.
- Add the oil (optional) and the ground beef. Cook the beef until no longer pink (5 minutes).
- Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes, stock (or bone broth), seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add cabbage on top.
- Close, set the valve to sealing and set to 20 minutes on high pressure.
- You don’t need to do any natural release of the air, just set the valve to venting, then open the lid. Remove the bay leaf, add more salt if needed.
- Serve hot.
More cabbage recipes:
Keto Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 oz canned tomatoes — diced
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tspblack pepper
- 5 cups bone broth — preferably beef
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf — optional
Heat olive iil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spatula, until crumbled for 7-8 minutes.
Add canned tomatoes, cabbage, Bay leaf, thyme, oregano, paprika and broth.
Simmer for 25 minutes, until the cabbage is cooked and tender.
Season with more salt and black pepper.