Easy Dinner Ideas – Pulled Pork Quinoa Bowls
Easy Dinner Ideas – Pulled Pork Quinoa Bowls, perfect for a quick, effortless weeknight meal.
I told you guys, I rarely make pulled pork, but when I do, I use it in all sorts of dishes, like these pulled pork quinoa bowls.
“Did you go to The Protein Bar?” That’s what my husband asked me, when he saw these quinoa bowls for dinner two weeks ago. The truth – I had not gone to Protein Bar, at the time I made these quinoa bowls. But he just thought that my inspiration for this meal came from there, because he knows, I always try to explore new restaurants and especially healthy eating places. He even suggested that we go to Protein Bar, which is 5 minutes away from the house, so I can try their food.
I really liked the idea of protein packed bowls, salads and burritos. Food is prepared very fast and tastes great! And prices are very reasonable. They currently have stores in Chicago, Colorado and Washington DC.
I’m constantly experimenting with new ways to enjoy quinoa. Having some homemade pulled pork in the fridge, made my job easier. I just made Mexican style quinoa bowls with pulled pork. They are super easy to make and taste fresh and delicious. Of course, if you are not a fan of pulled pork, you can use pulled chicken of beef. And forgive me, I forgot to add beans, but you can definitely throw some black or pinto beans into the bowls.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 2 medium avocados , diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned is ok)
- 3 tbsp chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper , chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional, you can use less or omit)
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbs lime juice
- salt to taste
- sour cream for serving
- hot sauce of your choice
- chopped cilantro for garnishing
- black or pinto beans for serving (optional, I did not use any)
- hot sauce of your choice for serving
- lime wedges , salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan combine butter, water and quinoa and bring o a boil. Then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook quinoa until water is absorbed, or about 20 minutes. Then fluff quinoa with a fork. Let it cool to a room temperature.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep refrigerated.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice and season with salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. It tastes best the same day.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Optional: season quinoa with some salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Divide pulled pork between the 4 bowls. Add pico de gallo, salsa and 1/2 avocado per bowl. Add cheese. Top with sour cream and garnish with lemon wedge.
More Quinoa Recipes