Crusty No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe
Crusty No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe – easy to make with just a few basic ingredients, no special equipment. Let to rise overnight and baked in a Dutch oven. The perfect homemade bread, a foolproof recipe.
Finally sharing my favorite recipe and tips to make the best Crusty No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe.
Weather has been freezing and unpleasant around here this week. I did a lot of cooking, while staying inside.
Some hearty soups and slow cooker meals that perfectly go together with this Dutch oven bread.
I usually make this bread when I know I don’t have any store bought bread and I won’t be able to go shopping in the morning, but still want to make sure I have bread in the house.
It is so good, crusty and delicious, while still warm.
What ingredients do I need to make this No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe?
- all-purpose flour
- dry yeast (instant yeast, even rapid rise yeast will work, rising time will be 7-8 hours, instead of 12)
- warm water (115 F)
How long does it take to make this Crusty No Knead Bread Recipe?
This Dutch oven bread takes 5 minutes to make, but it reuires 10-12 hours rising time, preferably overnight. Keep this in mind, if you decide to bake the bread and get excited, but have missed the longer rising time step.
It also takes about 1 hour to bake the bread in the oven.
Do you need a Dutch oven to bake this No Knead Bread?
While Dutch oven works best and the recipe is called “Dutch Oven Bread”, you can still make thisCrusty No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe if you don’t have one.
Make sure you have a pot or baking dish that will fit the dough and is oven safe up to 450 F. Also having a lid is recommended.
What kind of flour to use?
All-purpose flour works great in the recipe. If you’d like to take a step further, you can use bleached or even bread flour.
If you happen to have only unbleached flour, it will work, too.
What type of yeast shall I use to make Crusty No Knead Bread ?
I recommend using dry yeast like Red Star or Fishermans.
Rapid rise yeast works as well, the bread will rise in 7-8 hours, instead of 10-12.
I have not tested the recipe with live yeast, but if you do the correct conversions, I’m pretty confident it will work.
How do you make No Knead Bread?
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl. Do not knead.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it stand at room temperature for 10-12 hours to rise.
Place a dutch oven (any Dutch Oven a size from 4 Qt to 6 Qt will work) with the lid on (lid and knob have to be heat proof) and preheat at 450 F for 30 minutes.
In the mean time transfer the dough to a floured surface and gather into a ball. Place on a large piece of parchment paper.
Carefully take the Dutch oven out of the oven and remove the lid. Transfer the dough with the parchment paper to the Dutch oven. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid, continue baking for 30 more minutes. Take out of the oven and let the bread cool inside the Dutch oven for 15 minutes, then carefully remove and cool to room temperature. Slice.
Can you freeze the no-knead bread dough or refrigerate it?
Both freezing and refrigerating are an option, but I wouldn’t do it, because it will affect raising time. If you decide to refrigerate the no-knead bread dough overnight, the dough might rise to some point, but you still have to take it out at room temperature so it can bubble and double its size.
To freeze this Dutch oven bread dough, freeze it in a zip lock bag right after you stir it. Then take out to room temperature and let it defrost and rise for up to 15 hours.
What to serve this Dutch Oven Bread with?
Crusty No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water — 115 F
- corn meal or extra flour
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and yeast.
- Pour the warm water over the flour mixture and using a wooden spoon stir to form a dough.
- Cover and let the dough rise to double its size for 10-12 hours.
- Place a dutch oven (any Dutch Oven a size from 4 Qt to 6 Qt will work) with the lid on (lid and knob have to be heat proof) and preheat at 450 F for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time transfer the dough to a floured surface and gather into a ball. Place on a large piece of parchment paper.
- Carefully take the Dutch oven out of the oven and remove the lid. Transfer the dough with the parchment paper to the Dutch oven. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, continue baking for 30 more minutes. Take out of the oven and let the bread cool inside the Dutch oven for 15 minutes, then carefully remove and cool to room temperature. Slice and enjoy.
- Store bread in a paper bag for 2 days at room temperature.