This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My constant search for the perfect banana bread recipe continues and today I have a very healthy recipe for coconut chocolate banana protein bread. Although my initial plan was to make regular , I guess not so healthy coconut banana bread, after seeing the original recipe on Melissa’s blog – My Whole Food Life, I decided to use the recipe and adapt it for my taste. I’ve been on a high protein, no refined sugar diet for 2 weeks and this banana bread is the perfect healthy protein dessert I needed.
I do believe in healthy eating, but I do love my sweets and especially cheesecake. But trying healthy recipes, especially for desserts is something I enjoy. The only vegan, healthy eating food blog I follow is My Whole Food Life and I’ve tested some of Melissa’s recipes and liked every single one of them. And I love the way this one turned out.
This bread turned so flavorful and chocolaty. The combination of banana and coconut is amazing and one of my favorite. It has no oil or refined sugar in it and it is made with whole wheat oat flour. Make sure you use over ripe bananas for extra sweetness, and they are also easier to work with.
I also added 1/4 cup of chocolate protein powder, which adds about 1 extra gram of protein per slice of bread (not bad).
The recipe is vegan and gluten free, which are big things nowadays.
The coconut chocolate banana protein bread can be stored in the fridge for a week, or frozen for up to a month.
Gluten Free Coconut Chocolate Banana Protein Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat oat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (chocolate) protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium ripe mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, (can use 2 % milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, coconut flakes and protein powder.
- In a different bowl mix eggs, vanilla extract, milk, agave nectar and mashed bananas.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and carefully mix together.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake in a greased or covered with parchment paper loaf pan for 35 - 40 minutes. Bread is ready when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Make sure bread has cooled to room temperature before you take it out of the pan.
- Keep bread wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for a week.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)