This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chocolate popcorn and almond trail mix is a great snack with the perfect flavors for any summer adventure.
Being around food all day, I love snacking. I usually snack on some almonds or dried fruit, but I’ve always loved homemade trail mixes. I’m taking this mix on a road trip to Utica, IL this weekend. We are going to Starved Rock State Park.
No summer adventure is complete without some great snacks.
Packing snacks like trail mixes for road trips is something I enjoy doing. I like to use good quality ingredients and only stuff I like, to ensure that nothing gets picked out.
This easy chocolate popcorn and almond trail mix takes less than 5 minutes to make with just 5 ingredients. Feel free to add or remove ingredients – fruit, seeds or nuts of your choice.
I’ve been loving Blue Diamond’s Roasted Salted and Lightly Salted (low sodium) almonds lately. They taste great on their own, but I used the lightly salted version in my trail mix. My husband was very happy to try the Blue Diamond low sodium lightly salted almonds and said that the amount of salt was just perfect.
The other hero of this snack is the popcorn with chocolate drizzle. We eat a lot of popcorn in my house. It tastes so good, when combined with chocolate! Chocolate helps to create the perfect balance of sweet and salty. I just drizzled some melted chocolate over plain popcorn. It is that easy! I also sprinkled a teaspoon of chia seeds, right after drizzling the chocolate, so it sticks to it. This adds some extra vitamins and minerals to the mix.
I also used dried tart cherries, dried mango and semi sweet chocolate chips. This trail mix is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, tart and sweet, crunchy and chewy.
It is very important, that you keep this trail mix in an air tight container or a zip lock bag, if you are taking it to the beach, party or a road trip.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Easy Chocolate Popcorn and Almond Trail Mix
For the chocolate popcorn:
- 3 cups popcorn
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp chia seeds, (optional)
For the trail mix:
- 2 cups lightly salted low sodium Blue Diamond Almonds
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 cups dried mango
- 3 cups chocolate popcorn, (that you've made)
For the popcorn:
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place popcorn on it. Using a fork (or you can fill a zip lock bag and cut the corner), drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn. Sprinkle chia seeds (optional). Let the chocolate harden for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn, almonds, cherries, chocolate chips and mango. Toss to combine. Transfer to air tight containers or zip lock bags.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.