Chocolate Dipped Candied Orange Slices
Chocolate Dipped Candied Orange Slices – the ultimate edible gift for the holidays.
Easy and inexpensive to make. Dipped in semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkled with coconut flakes, sea salt or chopped nuts.
I’ve bought candied oranges many times, because they are perfect for this time of the year. I finally decided that I could actually make them at home.
After trying these Candied Blood Orange Slices, which I used to top these cheesecake bars,
it was time to make candied oranges, dipped in chocolate.
The process is pretty simple.
My house smelled amazing, while I was making them.
You simmer the orange slices in simple syrup, then let them dry at room temperature or inside the oven (over low temperature).
I had to use the oven, because I wanted to speed up the process and also the orange slices were on the thicker side.
You can use these candied orange slices to top cakes, other desserts or snack on them.
Wrap them up and they will make a cute and festive homemade Christmas gift.
My friends loved these. Pretty much everyone around me is a huge fan of the chocolate-orange combination.
The little additions of – sea salt, toasted coconut flakes and chopped macadamia nuts, made these candied orange slices just perfect!
I also made candied tangerine slices, following the same process, which I used to top a holiday cake. I’m sharing the recipe for this cake next.
- 2 large oranges , sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- sea salt
- 2 tbsp chopped Macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut flakes
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir, so the sugar gets dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add orange slices.
- Simmer for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove slices one by one and place on a cooling rack in a single layer (make sure there is a tray underneath).
- Let the slices dry for 2 hours or overnight. Alternatively, turn the oven to 170 F and place cooling rack, with the tray underneath in the oven. Let slices dry for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate. Add vegetable oil and stir.
- Dip half of each orange slice in chocolate.
- Sprinkle some of them with sea salt, toasted coconut flakes and chopped Macadamia nuts (or other nuts of your choice).