Black Rice Salad Recipe
Black Rice Salad Recipe – a different kind of salad, made with black rice, asparagus, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Easy to make, tasty and nutritious.
Have you ever tried black rice?
I’ve tried it in a black rice pudding, that tasted pretty good, but never had a savory black rice dish, until I decided to make this salad.
A combination of quick cooking black rice, oven roasted asparagus, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese with lemon olive oil dressing.
I had a sweet black rice pudding a few years back, while on vacation. I really liked it and wanted to make it again, but I just kept forgetting.
I got some quick (5 minute) cooking black rice, which is super easy to prepare.
I like its deep purple color (after it is cooked), which brought a wonderful pop of color to this Black Rice Salad. Black rice (also known as “forbidden rice”) has nutty flavor and a pleasant soft texture.
It is the only rice variety, containing contains anthocyanin. It also contains antioxidant vitamin E, which is important for skin, eye and immune health. Black rice also contains more fiber than other varieties.
More on the benefits of black rice, you can read here.
Black rice is just perfect for salads. You can also find lots of Chinese recipes, that call for black rice and I’m very excited to try some in the future.
Keep in mind, that if you get regular black rice, not quick cooking one it will take you longer time to prepare. It should take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes.
Also black rice does not cook well in a rice cooker. (I don’t even own a rice cooker).
You can easily turn this Black Rice Salad Recipe into a vegan one. Just swap the Parmesan cheese that I used with nutritional yeast.
Since spring is almost here, I thought that oven roasted asparagus will be appropriate for this salad. I often associate asparagus with spring. They are extremely easy to make in the oven of on the grill.
The combination of black rice, tomatoes, asparagus and Parmesan is definitely a winner!
- 1 pound (450g) asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive or avocado oil
- 8 oz (around 250 gr) black rice, I used 5 minute black rice by the brand Scotti
- 2 large tomatoes , diced (you can also peel them, if you'd like)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet (you may cover it with parchment paper) and season with salt, pepper and oil.
- Roast asparagus for 15-20 minutes, until cooked. Time may vary depending on the thickness of asparagus.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Follow the instructions on the package to cook black rice. Time and method will differ depending on the kind of black rice used. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- IN A BOWL PLACE BLACK RICE, THEN ADD ASPARAGUS, TOMATOES AND PARMESAN CHEESE.
- POUR DRESSING AND STIR TO COMBINE. ADD MORE LEMON JUICE, SALT AND PEPPER IF NEEDED.
- MORE SALT AND PEPPER MAY BE USED AS AN ADDITION TO THE SALAD, AFTER THE DRESSING HAS BEEN ADDED.
You May Also Like: