Bavarian Cream Recipe
Bavarian Cream Recipe – also known as Bavarois, is a French dessert, similar to pastry cream, but thickened with gelatin. It is very light, fluffy and delicious. Easy to make. You could use it in cakes, or serve it on its own with berries or sauce. Made with raw eggs.
This Bavarian Cream Recipe is one of my favorite desserts to make and eat.
I’ve actually shared the recipe with you in the past, where I used it in this Blueberries And Bavarian Cream Cake.
This cream is lightened up with whipped cream, chilled until firm and often served inverted onto a serving plate. I usually just serve it in a glass or bowl.
Bavarois is often used in the so popular Mirror Glaze Cakes, which look beautiful! I did make a few of these cakes recently and will definitely share the recipe for the cake and glaze with you soon.
This time I spilt the cream in half and added some unsweetened cocoa powder to one half, this way I had a two color dessert. Pretty cool, right?
I’ve been into gelatin desserts lately. The truth is that working with powder or gelatin sheets is pretty easy and it ensures that desserts like this Bavarian cream set perfectly.
This is a favorite dessert in my house. Even my husband, who is pretty picky about desserts, loves it! This is the perfect, quick and easy dessert for Valentine’s Day, even though there is no chocolate involved.
I garnished the Bavarian cream with fresh berries (I had blackberries and raspberries) and also drizzled some melted chocolate.
Feel free to use fresh fruit of your choice, fruit sauce, fruit puree or chopped nuts.
I used vanilla bean past this time, but vanilla extract or vanilla bean pod could be used.
I’m sharing this Bavarian Cream recipe separately, because I’m planning to use it as an addition to other desserts in the future. Enjoy!
- 3 large eggs , egg yolks separated from egg whites
- 1 tbsp powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract / 1 vanilla bean pod , scraped or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Add 1/4 cup cold water to a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Set a side.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together, until pale and frothy.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Whip heavy cream with 1 tsp sugar, to stiff peaks.
- Warm up gelatin until it turns into a liquid, use a double boiler or do it carefully in the microwave.
- Add gelatin to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Fold in whipped cream. Fold in egg whites. Add vanilla.
- Divide mixture in half. Add cocoa powder to one part.
- Spoon cream into glasses, using half of the yellow and half of the cocoa mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Serve with fresh berries and drizzle melted chocolate.
You May Also Like: